Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Thanksgiving and 8 months

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving! Had good ol' Blogger been working right, I would've posted sooner. There were about 60 people at my parents' house for the big day! It was so fun as it always is with the Cagle crew. It was fun being together, but that many people crowds up a house and it really doesn't lend itself to being a great day for really visiting with people or taking lots of pictures. Its like Disney world...crowded people moving around like cattle and little kids running at your feet. All that to say...i didn't take many pictures of actual Thanksgiving.

It is his first Thanksgiving, that's why he looks a little confused
Looking at that turkey made him hungry!
I did get a picture of this...me and cousin Paige stirring the dressing. YUMMY! Of course Parker, one of Kanyon's most faithful prayer warriors, was right there with us. I was so glad Parker and Kanyon got to meet!
Kanyon received his first "official" Christmas present! Thanks GREAT Aunt Gwenny!
These are completely me being obsessed with him when I think he's cute. Sorry.
Talk about POUTY!!!!!!!!

Here is the 8 month old man! I'm a little mad at myself for not thinking through this whole basketball thing a little better. No matter how hard I try , the angle and depth is always different which distorts the picture. It really annoys me.

With the risk of writing way too much, I'll take a minute to tell you 8 things about Kanyon at the 8 month mark. (disclaimer: his development is NOTHING like a "normal" 8 month old or even a 4 1/2 month old...we preemies go at our own pace...which is SLOW, but that's OK)
1. He loves eating his hands..it started out as trying to find his thumb, he gave up on that and will now just suck on his hands...hungry or not.
2. His favorite possession is his bouncy seat (mine too!). He will sit in it FOREVER just kicking and talking or sleeping. It was pretty cheap, but its worth big $$$$$$$! When we first brought him home, he wasn't even big or strong enough to bounce it with his own movement, now he about bounces out of it!
3. He still hates eating...chalk that up to an oral aversion (thanks to the tubes and junk) and reflux, but he's getting a little better. He's hard to feed, but now instead of 1 1/2 hours per feeding we're down to an hour...sometimes 45 minutes!! That helps since I'm still pumping and he's still eating every 3 hours during the day.
4. We're still working on the cereal thing. He's not very good at it. He can't figure out how to open his mouth. Once it gets in there, he does good, its just hard to get him to open his mouth. We're almost ready to try baby food.
5. While I'm on the eating thing, He LOVES LOVES LOVES his vitamins. If any of you have kids you've probably given them those poly-vitamins. I accidentally got a little bit in my mouth from my finger the other day and I almost gagged. He sucks those things down like it is candy. His eyes water and then when they're gone, he smacks his lips....maybe he doesn't have taste buds.
6. He has really started interacting more with us. He talks and squeals and makes his cute noises so much. (though my mother in-law probably thinks I'm crying wolf. Everytime he's on a roll i call her so she can hear him and he stops!)He smiles a lot more and even if he won't look at us, he reacts to us with the rest of his body.
7. He works very very had during his therapy. We have PT and OT 3 times a week. His physical therapy is pretty intense. He usually ends up screaming, but he does good work even when he's screaming. We are still working on head control (he can't quite lift it off the ground when on his tummy). He is getting so much better with his head and trunk control from the sitting position . He is using both hands and bringing them both to mid line, his legs are out of control active, and he's making improvements. Baby steps....make that Preemie steps. We know in a lot of ways, the odds are against him as far as this developmental stuff goes, but we are very very hopeful and encouraged by his progress be it ever so slight and slow. We really believe he's gonna walk and run and jump like other boys!
8. I'll save the coolest one for last. Kanyon is growing a mean spike on his head. He is almost COMPLETELY bald all over his head (though I've noticed a tiny bit of fuzz in the last couple of days) except for his scar from his shunt. Right along that c-shaped scar he is growing a long dark patch of hair. Mohawk-side spike dude. Pretty cool. He's a trend setter.
Thanks for reading all of this mommy stuff!

14 comments:

Sydni said...

Thanks for making me cry... I'm just so happy to hear how hard he tries and that you (and we all) believe in him so much. What a cherished little boy.

I don't blame Kanyon one bit for having confusion over his first Thanksgiving (who has ever seen that much stuffing in one place?).

I can see his hair... in the turkey pictures and the present picture!

It was Thanksgiving last year when we found out you were expecting!

TexasNeals said...

awwww, what a sweet post. we are so proud of him! :) i noticed his spike on Sunday....LOVE it! :) HA! jack is working on his own offcentered doo! we'll have to take a picture..."onesided willy-wonka" and "off centered spike"...i love it!!!

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

sweet times! glad I got to see you all of 45 minutes or less. we were like a herd of cattle being sent through. oh well, at least we were all under the same roof finally

so proud of the Grand Kanyon! he is doing so well, even if it is slow. jeff moves very slow too but it's not because he is a premie he just doesn't see the point in getting rushed. maybe kanyon will follow couz jeff's lead! hee! hee!

Pearson Family said...

His first Christmas present is from Spanglers!! Way to go Gwennie, or at atleast I think it is Spanglers with that beautiful wrapping! You captured some great smiles! I love that picture of Parker, he looks like a DEER in headlights. I was honored to work the famous dressing with you, sweet cuz!

Love you!

Anonymous said...

Jaymie,
Hope y'all had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I love the new pictures of Kanyon. His outfit w/ the blue, green and brown is adorable. It's such a blessing to be able to watch him grow and change through your blog. Glad to see y'all are doing well!

Adam and Kristen (or doodle for some) said...

I LOVE the pouty picture. That's hilarious!

tleaf10 said...

He is getting so big and cute! I want to see you guys so bad :( But it's nice to know that I get to see you all through your blog. Thanks for posting!

Jodi said...

We LOVE reading all your Mommy stuff! We're so proud of him too! God's continued Work through that little man is amazing... I just marvel at his Goodness and Graciousness to answer our prayers so wonderfully through your sweet family. Kanyon is so blessed to have you and Kory as his cheerleaders! And I'm right there with ya! :)

As for the pictures... those in his hat are beyond precious. Keep them coming... I can't get enough of those smiles!

Love you!!!!!!!

martha crockett said...

Ahhhhhh. Finally walking (or limping-ha!) away from your blog satisfied. I look so forward to any pix or info on Kanyon--you and Kory, too. Wonderful to have seen you all Sun. Love the side-spike-mohawk! He will be a trend-setter, for sure!

annalee said...

thanks for sharing all your mommy news. love it and love your little turkey!

Melissa Taylor said...

I just can't believe how big he is - he just gets cuter everytime you post pictures.

Anonymous said...

Who wouldn't want a mohawk-side spike??? What a precious boy! I always tell Drew he's the "sweetest, cutest, most precious boy in the world," but Kanyon seems to be closing in quickly on him! I believe your Grand Kanyon will definitely walk & run & jump like all the rest! Love you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update on his progress...we check the blog all the time and love hearing about Kanyon the fighter! We are praying that he will continue to grow stronger physically and mentally, every second of the day. We love you guys, Happy Holidays!

The Timberframer's Wife said...

So sweet--I just love his rolls. Hope y'all are doing real good--as always, you're all in our prayers! Y'all take care! Robyn

Lilypie
Lilypie First Birthday tickers