Thursday, September 18, 2014

Our Last Days of Summer

After our trip to Texas, we had a few days of summer that I'd better document....nothing special,  just things like.......

 sitting on the potty in the outhouse as happy as can be  

...and enjoying the serenity of the creek with your hands in your pockets/in your overalls. 

 Quinn got to spend the day with Chief checking the cows in the summer mountain pasture. 

When we got back from Texas we had a little Kory/Jaylie June birthday celebration.  Gram and Chief got Jaylie this vanity and they were all 3 primping. 

This little 2 year old was so very pleased and grown up eating her cookies and ice cream. 

She kinda looks like a thug, but I can't help but wanna squeeze her! 

The end of summer here meant the arrival of yummy peaches.  We REALLY missed our Pittsburg peaches this summer, but we got some that were pretty good! 

Evening walks home from Gram and Chief's house are way more fun when they walk with us! 

When Gram and Chief turned back to head to their house, Miss Priss pushed her brother in the stroller. 

We always love going to the park that's right by our house.  I was so glad for a few more trips before school started.  This is yet another example of the impossible-ness of my children taking a decent picture.  Quinn=SOOOOO over it. 
Jaylie June= annoying fake "CHEEEEEEEESE" smile. 
Kanyon=STILL hasn't figured out how to smile and open his eyes. 

Mommy Juney girl brought one of her babies along for this trip to the park.  

Baby enjoyed the merry go round, 

 and the slide. 

 We spent our last days of summer enjoying late bed times so we had plenty of time for dressing up like super heroes (but apparently not enough time to put on clothes). I might also mention that she insisted on going to get her stool to sit on when I took her picture.  She's learning to pose y'all.  Help. 

Super Modest Girl used her super powers to cover herself up for a picture. 

 I have loved having fresh wildflowers/weeds/alfalfa hay/anything else me and the kids pull out of the ground out in my house all summer.  Its hard not to be happy when there's fresh flowers all over the place. 

Nothing ends a great summer like an UNBELIEVABLE personal add in our newspaper.  Read it, then read it again because it REALLY does say what you think it says.  I can at least give the guy credit for knowing what he's looking for. 

Just when we thought our summer was coming to a close, it took an interesting turn.  Kanyon was set to start school on Wednesday and that Monday night after a fun birthday party, Kanyon had a seizure, then another one a few minutes later.  He didn't seem to snap out of them and calm down. I held him and he stopped having seizures, but he never could settle down.  His heart rate stayed SUPER high for a long time and much like we would feel if our heart was racing, he couldn't rest or even close his eyes.  We knew we needed to call someone.  It was 11:00 MT time so I had to call our neurologists office in Dallas and talk to the on-call nurse.  She told me she would let the Dr. on call know what was going on and give me a call.  THANKFULLY it was our Dr. that was on call that night and a few minutes later he personally called me back to talk which I thought was so above and beyond.  He could've just relayed info through the nurse, but he called me on his cell phone at midnight.  He was confident that this wasn't a prolonged seizure but he was concerned about the heart rate staying up so high for so long so he suggested going to the ER. Soooo around midnight, me and KanMan headed up to the ER.  By this time I could tell he was slowing down and it was coming to an end but we still wanted to get checked out.  So we walked right in and saw a Dr. immediately (small town perks). His heart rate had slowed down and he was finally able to fall asleep.  He also started running a fever.  So, the conclusion was that the high heart rate and the seizures may have all been the onset of a virus of some sort.  Several years ago, klp had a few episodes of this high heart rate thing and we were never able to come up with a reason (or a long term problem).  We came home and went to bed thankful that he was better, but still wondering exactly what sort of "bug" would start this way.  But if we've learned anything its that this boy's body reacts to things in totally unique and sometimes bazaar ways, so we think maybe this was one of those strange reactions. Our super nice neurologist in Dallas called personally to check on us the next day.We went and saw our pediatrician the next day (who we really like) and she still felt like it was a virus. She ran a strep test and a few others but nothing came back positive. Kan did end up running some fever for the next couple of days. He had a runny nose and he was pretty worn out for a couple of days.  As you see in the photo below, the virus made its rounds.  Q took a dive a day or two later.  He was croupy, congested, and totally sleepy and puney. Jaylie got it too and had a few rough nights and several days of being way croupy and coughing like a seal.  She never seemed to feel as bad as the other 2 did.  So, again we have another strange Kanyon medical episode, but thankfully it all turned out ok.  So we spent our last days of summer like this......

Everyone perked up (but still ran a little fever so we had to stay home) and what was supposed to be Kanyon's first day of school looked like this instead.......
playing in the rocks in the driveway

and going to the creek to throw rocks.  I'll take a few extra days of summer ANY time!!!  

So long Summer 2014, you were a GREAT ONE!!!!!  

1 comment:

The Speck family said...

NO FUN AT ALL! My heart was racing just reading this- BLESS that sweet boy. Seizures are the absolute worst and it makes my heart just ache to think of him struggling with them. So thankful that the virus passed and he is all settled in at school; I have noticed that any time B gets a fever his seizures increase as well--> the brain sure is one complex thing. Much love to your adorable KanMan!