Friday, October 8, 2010

Montana 3

I realize this is all getting pretty self-indulgent, but I want to have this trip documented for our family and there is lots to document.

This post is all about gathering. That is one of the 3 things we hoped to get to do while we were there. It worked out perfect! Here's the basic info on what we were doing. Disclaimer: I'm going to use the term "cows" very loosly. I'm calling them all cows. Boys, girls, babies, moms, Dads, all of them cows. I know its not technically correct, but its just easier. They're all cows! Ok. Most of the year the cows are all on land near the house. But in the summer, they move the cows to some land they have in the mountains. Its on the other side of town and a ways up the mountains to get to where they are. They have a nice big place to spend their summer. Around this time of year, they go get the cows out of the mountains and bring them back to the land around the house. Its quite an ordeal and lots of work for the guys, but for tag alongs like me, its mostly just fun. My great MIL stayed back at the house with the sleeping babies and let me go see this big production and then she brought the kids up there once they were awake.

The place where the cows are is big so they are scattered out all over it. Our goal was to spread out (some on 4 wheelers, some on horses) and "round up" as many as we could get and push them down the mountain to the corral. There is more to it than that, but I don't really know the ins and outs and I don't think it will make much difference to you. Kory or anyone else in his fam could probably give way better details. oh well.

If this doesn't get you in the cowboy mood, what will??!!!
Sweet Sayler wearing Chief's hat. This was actually after the gather when we stopped in town for dinner.

This was the on the ride up there. The weather could not have been more beautiful and perfect! The leaves were really starting to change up in the mountains.

Its kinda hard to see, but this is a natural canyon corral. This is where we were trying to get all the cows. Obviously this was before we started. It's really a cool place.
Here is a pic inside of it. Its surrounded by the canyon and then they've added gates and stuff.
I was up on a hill...here is the gang getting ready...
Of course its never as simple as you hope. We got up there and some fence was down. I managed to get all 4 of the Phillips boys working together. I know it was so fun for them to get to work together.
This is Kory's Grandpa Bob. He ran the ranch before Kory's dad. He came up to "supervise" and managed to bring in a few stray cows before we even started!
More Phillips boys fixing fence.

When the fences were fixed, we all received our orders from Tye and Wes. Mine were pretty much to just follow the cows. They for sure knew way better than me what to do! :) This was my horse Speed.
Kory rode Uno....this picture makes me realize how tall Kory is. He makes Uno look like a pony.
Wes getting ready to go
There's ME!!!!!
And now we get to the cows! They were EVERYWHERE!!!
It was fun to watch them follow each other and keep up with their calves. The noise was unbelievable. All the "moo"ing....hundreds and hundreds of momma cows mooing for their babies and babies mooing for their mommies and probably some just overall disgruntled cattle! LOUD!
It was pretty cool that they really did sort of just know where to go. Other riders did more work than me, but not only am I a rookie gatherer, but I had a nursing baby waiting for me at the corrals so I had to get back to him!
This is right at the end....we made it!
This was the last of the bunch we brought in that night. The boys went back the next couple of days because there were some stragglers.
We had a little fun once we took care of the roundin' up business! Quinn's first horse ride!!
Gram and Sayler tickling each other
KLP and klp taking it all in
Wes talking things over with his dad afterwards. I'm guessing this happens no matter how old the son is.
Our 4 Phillips boys after a long day of work.....and another long day was just around the corner. OK so that was the gathering part. But thats just half of it. They got them in the corall but now they have to get back down to the house. So the next morning, Kory, Tye, and Clint left before the sun and went back to the mountains to get ready for the big trucks to come. I wasn't there, so I don't know exactly what they did (so my explanation will be EVEN MORE lame). I think basically they sorted cows from the calves and then when the trucks got there, they loaded them and counted them. There were I think about 7 truck loads shipped home and I know it was a long day of work for those 3.

Meanwhile back at the house, there is a crew waiting for the cows when they get there. They unload the truck a little at a time...Here is one of the trucks.


Then they sort the boys from the girls. Or heifers from steers if you wanna get technical.
The steers went into the shed and I never got over there so I'm not sure what all they did to them, but where we were, they sent the calves through the chutes and gave them a booster shot that gets them ready to wean from mommy.

Sayler watching the action
of course, with her doll Sally.
Cooper was too tired to be much help.
The dogs may get to sit back and relax, but not the kids!!! They have to WORK too! :)
At least they have Gram that will help them!
It was so fun to see this! I've always heard Kory talk about it and I'm so glad I got to be there an see how it all works. Yes I was saddle sore the next day. Very.

2 comments:

Sydni said...

I asked Clint (at least a couple of times) if you mentioned anything about being sore. You're one tough mama. That's the best sort of sore I think!

annalee said...

sooo interesting, neat, fun, and great to read all about you guys' trip!

Lilypie
Lilypie First Birthday tickers