Thursday, July 19, 2007

Dallas Update

Blogger wouldn't work for me last night, so I wasn't able to update..but here I am today. Our trip to Dallas went good. Kanyon did fine in the car..he's just going to have to grow into it. He had his CT scan and then we met with his neurosurgeon. He said that his ventricles were smaller, but still large. So..we are having the permanent shunt put in next week. He said he just feels like he'd rather go ahead and fix it and be done with it than sit around and wait to see if it will go away. We really feel OK about this. At this point, we are ready to do whatever we need to do to get things back the way they are supposed to be. We will go to Dallas for pre-op Tuesday and the surgery will be Wednesday then he should go home maybe Thursday or Friday. I don't know much about the ins and outs of the shunt or the procedure, but we'll learn all of that Tuesday. I asked about damage and the Dr. said they can't really tell how much. He said that the right side does have some because that is the side that the ventricle is so much larger, but he said you never know what that means. That is probably as good of an answer as we're going to get. It is just such a broad range with so many different possibilities that there is no way to know. All we know is that he is at high risk for things and we will start now working on those. The good thing is working on those things does make a difference, so we can start helping before we even know what is going to happen. And the bottom line is, nothing they tell us will change a single thing. So..that is what's next for us. Like I said, we feel good about this and think this is the right move. I think it will ease some of our worries. So, back to the hospital we go, but this time we will be in pediatrics!! WOW! Not Neonatal! Thanks for your prayers yesterday.

10 comments:

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

Kory and Jaymie,

We are praying for you! I love you guys, hang in there. I know you are discouraged right now and it is okay to be discouraged. I will pray for you guys as you go through this process.

"step by step He'll lead me..."

I love you both!

Cousin Susan

Pearson Family said...

So glad that the trip went OK. Emaline doesn't ride well in the car and SHE is 18months old! It also sounds like you have peace about the decision. We will be praying for you guys and the weeks ahead. It is so sweet to hear Parker ask how Kanyon is doing. He loves seeing the pictures. WE love you!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad everything went well in Dallas. PTL that you have a peace about having this procedure done. Kanyon has been an inspiration to everyone and the Lord has mighty plans for his life. In addition you and Kory have also been an inspiration. Your faith, the words you have written. Though you maybe scared at times, we (the bloggers) can still see the Lord at work in the words you have written. The Lord knows why the circumstances that have taken place in your life. Not all families could have handled what you have been through. The Lord will continue to strengthen your family during these times.
Phil. 4:13 "I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me."

The McCarter Family said...

Praying like crazy that the surgery will go well and that he will not have any damage! He has been through so much and I know that God is going to heal him! We love you!

Jessica said...

I am sure you have realized that there are people out there that have kept you in their thoughts and prayers that you have never met. I am one of those people. I found out about your sweet babies from my sister who is a friend of one of your relatives (Paige I think). I have a baby who is now 5 weeks old so I have felt what you have been going through intimately. I cried for you when you lost your sweet little girl and felt joy for you when you were able to take Kanyon home. I had difficulties with my own pregnancy so I know the fear involved when you are worrying about your baby. I just wanted to post and let you know that I continue to pray for your family. I hope that everything goes wonderfully with the Kanyon's procedure. One way or the other he is so lucky to have a Mommy and Daddy that love him so much.

Silverthornes said...

We thank God for Kanyon's progress so far and will continue to pray for him during his surgery. We will also keep you guys in our prayers as you continue to make these types of decisions.

Julie said...

Lots of prayers and more prayers.

Unknown said...

You guys were on my mind a lot last night when I realized that you would be heading to Dallas last night. I said a special prayer for Kanyon, and for you guys. Just this morning I posted a bible study on my blog that we have been doing in church for the last 3 weeks. Check it out when you get a chance, God had been really laying people on my heart while doing this, and that precious little boy was one of them!

The Morgans said...

Hi Jaymie and Kory,

I am anxious to hear how everything goes in Dallas. If you wouldn't mind calling us at the church so we can include something in the Wednesday night bulletin and Sunday, that would be terrific. I've been out of town for a few days and didn't know about Kanyon's impending surgery, so you know we are now in prayer for him (and you!).

Take care and remember WHO is in control -- and WHO loves him most! :-)

Love you guys,
Maggie

Anonymous said...

Continued prayers!!!!!!!!!!!
Love you guys,
Brandi

Lilypie
Lilypie First Birthday tickers