Monday, July 9, 2007

Life at the Phillips house is definitely more fun now! We've had a great few days with Kanyon at home. He was done great...I can tell he loves it here! He still doesn't cry much..he cries a little more (louder) every day. His little lungs are still working towards that. In a way, it is kinda nice. :) Feeding him is probably the toughest part. A lot of the time he just doesn't want to eat and we have to make him. That has gotten better the last 2 days, so I"m really glad. He's taking a bottle every feeding and we "try" to nurse twice a day. He's getting better with both, so that is making things a little easier. I'm definitely ready for him to nurse so I can ditch the pump! That will help me a ton...things won't take as long when I don't have to pump after I feed him. My parents have been here, so they help feed or wash bottles or whatever they can do to speed things up. THANKS! He sleeps good and has started to sometimes kind of wake up on his own about the time he supposed to eat. It seems like his most awake times are after he eats. We fight him to keep him awake while he eats, then when he's finished, he is wide eyed! It is so fun to get to see him wide awake for so long. When he was in the hospital, if I wasn't there at just the right time, I'd miss those times. It is so great to not miss a thing! He has been very patient with his Mom and Dad as we stumble through the "firsts" of parenthood. It is funny the things we know a lot about is all the medical stuff. We're confident in most of that. It's things like changing his clothes, bathing him, and clipping his fingernails where we're LOST! If someone saw me changing his clothes, they'd probably turn me into CPS! :) I'm getting better though.

We went to Dallas today for an appointment with his Neurosurgeon. I was a little anxious because he would be in his car seat for so long. He hasn't quite figured out how to sit in that thing and breathe. Before we left the hospital, they showed us how to prop his back up to help him breathe better. Thankfully, he did great in the car. His appointment went well. His Dr. said he looks good and that it seems like the temporary shunt is still working. His head looks good on the outside and measures normal and his soft spot is nice and soft. We are going back next week to have a CT scan so that the Dr. can see it and check on the inside. He did say that it looks like Kanyon's body may be circulating some of that fluid on its own. That is encouraging. That is what we're praying for. We'll keep you posted on that.

Are you tired of all this writing yet? How about a few pictures of our first few days at home!!

This is Kanyon's Great Grandma Nanny Lou. She got to see Kanyon in Dallas, but this was the first time she got to hold him. It was so fun. He loved her! I am so glad he gets to be in her arms.

The classic baby sleeping on Daddy (while Daddy sleeps too) pictures...just can't resist it.

I've already taught Kanyon how to wave, see?

I took this because he is holding my mom's finger while he eats. CUTE!

This pictures cracked me up...Gangsta Kanyon...

We had a little time in the swing. As you can see we have to prop him up..same idea as the car seat. He liked the swing!


After he learned to wave, he wanted to do jumping jacks..since he can't stand up yet (that's next week) he has to do them laying down.
I think he's checking to make sure we spelled his name right on his blanket.
Not sure what we were doing here...probably just playing. It's like Christmas! You have a brand new toy that you just can't put down! :)
Yes, he slept through his first bath!

Well, the little man is starting to stir and squeak...better go check. We'll try to keep the pictures coming....as you can see his first days at home have definitely been documented.

31 comments:

daughteroftheking said...

I'm so excited to see more pictures and hear how that sweet boy is doing. He looks wonderful! So glad to hear everything went well in Dallas and we are praying for complete healing of his little body.
Love ya'll
Missy,Gunnar,Faith,Katy,and Elijah

Corbitt Family said...

I think my favorite picture is the one of him in the bath! He is getting so big! Thanks for keeping us updated!
The Corbitts

sharon said...

Precious. I am SO happy for you!!

Anonymous said...

sGood to see you having fun(finally). Love the comment on Christmas, I felt that way with both my boys(still do most of the time because everyday brings something new) My first son would sleep through his baths too. The doctor told me to give him a bath to keep him awake but it didnt work. I know you and Kory are going to do an awesome job mentally, physically and spiritually with Kanyon. Cant wait for the one year update. Enjoy every minute and dont worry about a thing, yall have it all covered.
Tracey W.O.

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

Wow it looks from the above comment from Missy that she was up way past her bedtime!

I continue to pray for you guys and am so thankful that you are finally at home establishing some sort of routine. God will continue to bless you all and continue to get that head completely healed. But he is the sweetest thing ever and I so glad that you are having mom time at home. Kory wake up! (Just kidding!)

Love you all!
Susan

Carissa said...

Gangsta Kanyon....Too funny!

Anonymous said...

Those pictures are so sweet. I love the Gangsta Kanyon. Jaymie, you and Kory are doing such a wonderful job...I can't imagine how it would be! Just keep your sense of humor...it helps in all things!
God Bless you 3!

Anonymous said...

by the way - it's me, Molly, that wrote the above.

Anonymous said...

He has gotten so BIG!!! Thank the Lord every thing checked out in Dallas and we will continue to pray that God heals his body. Take in all these times together because he will grow up fast.

Anonymous said...

I love all the pictures. He definitely seems content to be home!! Enjoy every minute of it. He is beautiful(o.k. handsome). Peggy

Spencer said...

james, kory and kanyon,

we loved the pictures! mom is still with me in argentina because her flight was canceled because of the snow. she'll be home on thursday morning though! she said she likes the pictures but its not good enough...she wants to BE THERE!!

see yall soon

karen said...

He definatley looks like a daddy's boy!

From the pictures it looks like the bottle's getting bigger - which means more food / growing bigger. Keep it up Kanyon!

annalee said...

what a little man! it is so fun to read about your adventures in parenthood at home now. you write the best photo captions. i am giggling the whole time i am reading them! and of course smiling a huge smile for the way kanyon is growing too!
ps- i am pregnant!

Jodi said...

Yay! Great pics! My fave is the Gansta... too funny! Or the bath... I don't think I've seen him "naked" like that without lots of stickers and tubes and stuff! He just looks so cute! Can I say that on the internet?!?! Anyways, keep the pics coming. Glad to hear that you all are adjusting ok! We love you and are still praying like crazy!

Anonymous said...

Kanyon gets cuter every day! I can see the joy in both your eyes. Jaymie I know your parents are the best with helping!
~Shasta

Rachel said...

GREAT pictures! Keep it up! You know we're all dying to see more. He's so precious and I'm so glad he's doing so good at home. I see lots of fat rolls in that bath picture - yeah for fatties!

Allison said...

Congratulations on being at home! Praise God, and may his continuing hand be on Kanyon. God bless you guys.

Anonymous said...

Words can't explain how happy I am for all of you. The pictures are priceless!!! Let me know as soon as I can hold that sweet little thing. We miss you.
Love ya,
Brandi

Lynnie said...

I love the fact that your home is so busy with motherly duties. Sweet! And I know Kanyon's yet-nameless-grandmother is loving the baby time! He is precious! Grateful to God for his healing power and for his continue to work on all the brain drain!

Love you much!

Karl, Andrea, Kaden and Leland said...

Way to go Phillip Family. How wonderful it is that you are all home and together. I am so glad that things are going so well.

Anonymous said...

Great pictures and good news from the Dallas doctors!! I love the gansta picture. He's all ready for a "tough" guy picture now!!

Prayers are still coming for his brain to continue draining. I know Gay & Jay are enjoying being there and helping you!

Love you all.
Tim & Linda

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the homecoming!! He is adorable! My favorite pic is gansta Kanyon-haha- I love it! Glad to hear good news on the doctors visit. I'll continue to keep him in my prayers! Andra Fleming

Pearson Family said...

We just love that guy! Such cute pictures! We will keep praying for that guy! We love you TOO!

Anonymous said...

I guess Brazos just wanted to hear news from Kanyon's grandparents when he called them on my cell phone. The Paris cousins are so glad that Kanyon has found out what a great home and family with which he has been blessed. Thanks for sharing pictures and comments. We love you.
Paris Zants, Lyneil, Braxton and Brazos & Sue

Kristen said...

So glad you guys are at home! :)
Looks like you are doing great with Kanyon.
He is precious!

The McCarter Family said...

Such an exciting time! I can't believe I'm about to start all over in a couple of months! He is so cute and we can't wait to meet him! Give him lots of kisses - before you know it he'll be 2 already like mine!

campers said...

I am so excited for y'all! he is a doll! Still praying ~ thompson

Connor, Kaylee, Tripp, Thatcher, and Truett said...

He is such a handsome GANGSTA!
Love you!!!!

The Timberframer's Wife said...

Your son is getting fat. He is so beautiful, and I know y'all are doing just fine with all the "first days at home" stuff. If this is any consolation, the first day I was left alone with Mary Nan I locked myself out of the house in my socks in the rain on a cold January day and broke down the door, incision and all, and within a few days I also broke our phone and thought I'd torn up the washing machine. It was rough, especially on my repairman/husband, but a sweet time, too. Y'all take care--we love you and are praying!
Robyn

leslee said...

that was great! Praise God... isn't it amazing how there is nothing our God can't do? We love you all lf jf jf wf kf

Anonymous said...

glad there's no new news. we want some news, but no new news. you know... just old news. like more dirty diapers; kory draggin' to work after the feedings the night before; pictures of kanyon riding a horse; jayme cooking, cleaning, washing and folding clothes with klp on her hip (pics of that would be nice), and kory gagging from changing a diaper (pics of that one would be great, or youtube video link, too).
i'm not hard to please. what else is there to do? stare at the baby? hold him? talk about him? feed him? tell kory how the day went? change the baby? bathe the baby? talk to the baby? pump? feed the baby? well, i think he's getting a little spoiled. how about us? c'mon, don't over indulge the kid. we just need a paragraph and 17 pictures every couple of days.
so... glad i could have my voice heard. i know that many feel the same, i just felt the need to speak up.
hey... i almost posted that ... but then i figured the other 92,000 people that read this blog would think i'm kind of a freak. but i am... i'm a KLP freak! we love you guys and are so excited for you. and... we're really happy for you guys on those days when there's not anything to write about... it's just enough to get through the day, and start it all over again in 3 hours at the next feeding.
so, keep it up, and know that we are glad you've got your fantabulous baby boy at home peepin', poopin', and downin' those bottles!
ricky

Lilypie
Lilypie First Birthday tickers