Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Inpatient Update

First off, I think I left my camera cord at kasey's so I can't post some of the CUTEST pictures ever that I took this weekend. Maybe I'll find it soon. But, I do feel like I have things going on worth updating you on. Yesterday we checked in and that was really it. We just hung out in our room. Today we kind of "got started". All of the therapist that will see him came by and did their evaluation and kind of started to make a plan. When I say plan, that doesn't mean anything really in stone. This whole process requires a lot of observation and trial and error...hence the slow pace of it all. Here is where we are headed (this might get long):

Physical Therapy: Nothing new here, more of the same... He will see the PT 2-3 times per week. This is really just icing on the cake since we are technically here for feeding.
Occupational Therapy: She will do mostly gross motor things like the PT, but with a little different focus. She will focus on his hips, left arm movement, and working on his whole body balancing out his 2 sides (his left is weaker than his right)

Speech Therapy: This is where the action was today. She agreed with the ladies last week that the NG tube is the way to go. I feel really good about it and the way she explained it was good. I'll do my best to communicate what she told me. Basically he eats (and always has) sporadically with volume and time. So because of that, his body has never really learned what it is like to have a full tummy, let it empty, get hungry, and then fill it back up again. That whole rhythm has never really happened. So the NG tube will allow us to be on a strict time schedule giving him 30 min. to eat. We will offer the bottle first and let him take as much as he will and then put the rest through the tube. This will not only meet his daily intake goals and help him gain weight and get bigger which can only help his whole situation, but it will also give his body a chance to learn how this whole process of getting hungry and eating works. I feel like this makes sense and is a good step. This is NOT a fast process...things don't move in days...they move in weeks, but that is OK. We are hopeful and praying this will get us on our way to fixing this.

They put the NG tube in this afternoon. Not pretty. I wasn't in the room, but I could hear him and let me tell you, I was hearing sounds come out of him that I have never heard. I would have never known it was him because I've never heard him cry like that. Obviously the whole tube thing is annoying to him and less that 2 hours later he had pulled it out. The nurse that put it in didn't do a good job of taping it down. I knew it was going to happen. He just ate (and did great) from his bottle and I'll give him a bath and then they are going to put the tube back in. I am hoping this nurse will do a better job taping it down (I'm not saying its easy, I'm sure its hard to get that done when he's all over the place) and we can keep this one and let Kanyon start getting used to it being in his face. It shouldn't hurt him or anything, its just annoying on his face.

Needless to say we've had lots of holding since trauma of the tube. I just feel so bad that he has to deal with this junk. I would do it for him if I could. I wish so bad that he could catch a break and let something be easy. Paul and Katie came and brought me supper so they got to love on him while he was sad. Right now he's in his bouncy seat loving life (little does he know the tube is coming back!)

Tomorrow we will get going with somewhat of a schedule and settle in to how our days will go. This is a good place and I have been very pleased with everyone here. We are thankful to be here and really really praying/begging for this to be our help.

I'll hopefully get my camera cord tomorrow so I can have pictures to post. I'll end on this...can you believe the bachelor said "monkey will you marry me" I mean we all know I like monkeys, but come on....when you're proposing!! oh well...whatever bach.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey there~ this is Kelly, Bennett's mom, and I am catching up on blogs.....I ran across yours and want to firstly thank you for your prayers and encouragement- it is always so comforting to hear other peoples' NICU experiences and miracle stories. I wanted to let you know that we did the NG tube for 3 months when feeding was SUCH a challenge (and many tears were shed as a result!). I really hope it helps sweet Kanyon- he is so adorable! Putting the NG tube in is not fun at all....we had to do it at home several times and he thought we were trying to kill him. Your PT and OT stories are all so familiar.....we are working on sitting up right now too! Anyway, you are amazing parents and I am praying for you all.

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

I am praying for you guys, I know it is not easy-I pray that God gives both you and Kanyon peace that passes all understanding.

Love you sweet couz

susan

Sydni said...

Well, I'm encouraged that you are inpatients now and that they have started working on the NG tube. It sounds so hard on Kanyon and you - but sometimes things have to get worse before they can get better (not just in this case, but in life situations...).

You just crack me up about the Bachelor and of course I cannot wait to see the picture. Can you hurry and find your cord!?!

Beck Boys said...

We check in on you all the time an just don't leave a comment. We are praying for ya'll and hope all goes well this well. I know he is going to just take off and grow, grow, grow!!

Marianne said...

So glad for the update. Sounds like you are in a great place!! I know you are missing being at home, but this sounds like a great opportunity to have everything going on under one roof! Kanyon is such a trooper.

Love you!!

The McCarter Family said...

Praying so hard for Kanyon and his mommy & daddy! I know it is so hard to watch and hear him be uncomfortable. I'll pray for that too!

sharon said...

praying, praying that all of this does the trick, maybe even quicker than they expect!

after kev and i had calmed down from the monkey proposal, bachelor told monkey he loved her and she said she loved him, too...then there was a quiet pause and merit let out the loudest poot of her life, almost as if she was letting us know her opinion about the whole thing. it was too funny...maybe you had to be there? :)

love you!

Unknown said...

Jaymie,
You and Kanyon and Kory are in my prayers.
Do not let your heart be troubled...
Maybe you need earplugs when they are working on Kanyon. Somehow our baby's little voice seems to be rooted in our heart--the physical heart in our chest--doesn't it?
Psalm 68:19
Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior,
who daily bears our burdens. NIV

Praise the Lord; praise God our savior!
For each day he carries us in his
arms. NLT

Blessed be the Lord,
Who daily loads us with benefits,
The God of our salvation! NKJ

We praise you, Lord God!
You treat us with kindness
day after day,
and you rescue us.
Contemporary English Version

Blessed be the Lord, Who bears our burdens and carries us day by day, even the God Who is our salvation!
Amplified Bible

Honor and thanks be to the Lord, Who carries our heavy loads day by day. He is the God Who saves us. New Life Version

May the Lord be praised!
Day after day He bears our burdens;
God is our salvation.
Holman Christian Standard Bible
Love you,
Karol

Anonymous said...

Jaymie,
Happy "late" Mother's Day! So glad to hear Kanyon is inpatient and the work has begun. Ugghhh...NG tubes, no fun, but hopefully they can get him nice and plump. Keep on keeping on!
Stephanie Boutwell

The Timberframer's Wife said...

Lots of prayers for y'all--we love y'all!

Jessica said...

I am encouraged to hear that you are in a good place with so much to offer. I pray that Kanyon is able to learn and grow, so he can come home!
We love you and STILL miss you!
Jessica (and Beef and the kiddos too!)

erin f. said...

My heart is aching for Kanyon having to go through all of that, and for you having to watch him go through it...but Lord willing he will make lots of progress and this will all be behind you soon. I really really hope and pray that is the case. I'm glad you have such a good support group in Dallas...wish we were there too! Love ya.

Jr. and Christie Cox said...

Glad you guys are getting settled in. Sorry to hear about the tube thing...We have been really thinking about you guys lately...matter of fact, we were in Longview this past weekend and Kade said, "Hey, we could go see Kanyon!" Then I reminded him that ya'll were in Dallas. We miss you and will continue to pray for Kanyon. We love you guys!

Christie (& family)

By the way, Kori, we know you are out there...we miss you and are thinking/praying for you while your family is away- you are so special to all of us!

Julie said...

Just wanted you to know that my family still checks up on Kanyon all the time and we are still praying for him...and his Mommy and Daddy. He's just a gift and reminder to our family of God's promises!! Much love-
Julie (Jodi's Cousin)

Lilypie
Lilypie First Birthday tickers