Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Breaking News!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll just cut to the chase here:

Kanyon ate a CHEETO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't believe me??? Watch it for yourself:





The one you just watched was probably his third of fourth chip and as you saw, he had a little trouble with it at one point. BUT the fact that he never gagged and never threw up is UNREAL!!! He probably ate 5 or 6 by the time we were through and me and Kory were just beside ourselves. You know me, I have to tell you the long story, so here goes:

For months and months he has shown GREAT interest in our food. Wanting it soooooo bad. He would lick stuff and maybe even try to put it in his mouth, but that always ended bad. But we just kept letting him play around with it and he gradually made little tiny steps. One of those being learning how to take the food out of his mouth if it bothered him instead of just sitting there gagging waiting for us to get it. For the last several weeks, I'd been sitting him in the high chair while I cooked and would put crackers and stuff on his tray. It was a good time to do this because he hadn't eaten in a while so I wasn't worried about him throwing up an entire meal. He would put the crackers in his mouth and then pull them out, gag, then usually try to put other little pieces back in. It was a nasty slobbery mess, but I just wanted to let him do his thing. I didn't say a whole lot to him, just kinda let him play. So, the other night he had been "eating" crackers in the high chair when KLP came home from work. As usual, KLP grabbed some chips (Cheetos were the choice that night) to snack on while I finished dinner. As usual, klp begged for some, so KLP gave him one. He's licked them before. Kory and I got to talking and then Kory said, "Jaymie, I think he just ate that Cheeto." I said, "No, he didn't. He either threw the pieces on the floor or he put them in the chair." So, we proceeded to pick klp up and look for the Cheeto. It was NO WHERE TO BE FOUND!! KLP put another one on his tray and we watched in utter disbelief as klp brought the chip to his mouth, took a bite, chewed, took another bite, chewed, and swallowed. Our chins were on the floor!! So he ate a few more and we freaked out on the inside....we didn't want to make it TOO big of a deal. We told him GOOD JOB and we just kept giving them to him. Then I got out the camera and took that video. I coached him a little more in the video than we did before, but I was running out of memory and I needed him to hurry! :) Not sure how this fits into our "feeding program" but it is AMAZING!!!!! We're not getting our hopes us that he'll be chowing down on pizza by next week, but we're THRILLED that he tolerated that and that he enjoyed it!!

Watch the video again and you'll notice a couple of other things. He says "Mmmmmmmmm" He ALWAYS says that. He'll be playing with a spoon, take a "bite" with an empty spoon and say "Mmmmmmmmmmmm" But I still think its cute. And you'll also hear him copy me saying "cracker". We try to get him to say stuff all the time and it usually takes a while (like weeks) for him to copy us. That day, he was in the high chair "eating" his crackers and I said, "Kanyon, you're eating a cracker. Can you say cracker?" and he busted out "ca cu" maybe the clearest he's ever copied a word and for sure the most sounds he's ever copied that quickly. Usually we're happy with the sound the word starts with! So, not sure why cracker was the word, but that was the word of the day.

Needless to say, March 1st was a MONUMENTAL day in our house. We'll see where we go from here. We're still taking our sweet time, but that is OK!!! :)

And NO I don't care that Cheetos are unhealthy. Don't care one bit.

32 comments:

Abby, Scott, & Jude said...

Awww the power of cheetos! Yay Kanyon!
May that be the first of many more to come.

Katie Cunningham said...

God is so good!!! Yea for Kanyon!

Gay said...

Kanyon!!! Pookie is soooooo proud of you!!!!

Sydni said...

Oh, what a day!!! I'm seriously restraining myself from dancing around the room right now.

The Brown Family said...

Ahhhh, the power of junk food!!! I can remember that the first thing Hannah drank (by mouth) without gagging was a Pepsi. I must have called 85 people to share the BIG news. I totally get why March 1 will be a very important day on the Phillips Phamily 2010 calendar. Kanyon ROCKS!!!

Anonymous said...

That is AWESOME!! Kanyon better be careful, though, because Jed will probably try to steal his Cheetos when we move to Longview. He LOVES Cheetos. Seriously, though, I am SO happy for you guys. That is a really big deal.

Rachel said...

Shoot - I say he can be on an all-Cheeto diet as long as he'll keep taking those bites. Good for him! We are SO excited and loved the video.

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

Love the mmmmmmm! Great job Kanyon, great job!

Holly said...

That video was awesome!! Loved watching this victory. And I also LOVED the "mmmmmmm". He knows whats yummy!!

Marianne said...

Kudos to the Mighty Cheeto!!! The fam should have tee shirts!!! Seriously, this has to be so meaningful for you. Lots of hard work, prayers and tears to get to this point. Hallelujahs for this progress. Love you!

Chels said...

Yay!!! What a blessing that he's eating those...and you should give the "natural" cheetos a try - they're the puff kind and very easy to dissolve! Love it! So happy for you guys!

leslee said...

Yea Kanyon.

I usually don't comment... just stalk your blog, but I must say that if your gonna eat something Kanyon, Cheetos are one of my favorites.... I love them!! Way to go!! Very , very happy for you Jaymie and Kory... give the boys a squeeze for us...

martha crockett said...

Loved the "ca cu"! He said it plain as day! What a break through, J-me. I'm so proud of that big boy--and you, TOO!!!!

Jodi said...

Holy crap I am FALLING OUT OF MY CHAIR!! Can hardly type! WAY TO GO KANYON!!!!! AMAZING!!!!! I got all goosebumpy while watching that!! And seriously, "Cracker".... just said it like it was totally nothin'. Ok, you KNOW that I totally know how big of a deal this is (remember, B's breakthrough was choc cake, looks like klp's might be Cheetos!!), so I will be praying that he really IS chowing down on pizza next week! Seriously, it can happen! SO SO SO excited!!!!

Rebekah said...

Go Kanyon! I think he's ready for a steak now! ;)
I love when he said cracker! So cute!

Jodi said...

Just had to watch it again.... :)

sharon said...

this made ma laugh and smile and just be happy!! way to go kanyon!

erin f. said...

I think Cheetos are a perfect first food to chomp down! YEA Kanyon! That is awesome Jaymie, I am so happy!

Fosters said...

Oh, Jaymie.....you are the funniest girl!! I'm sitting here by myself having a good ol' laugh!
I'm so glad that you "don't care one bit" .........who could argue with a cheeto??

Seriously......I'm just so, so happy at all of Kanyon's accomplishments......I loved hearing him say "cracker" .....
And, Quinn will be eating cheetos with big brother before you know it! love, Marilyn

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness oh my goodness oh my goodness. I am so excited out of my mind - he said cracker!!!! and he ate a cheeto!!!!! Chomping them up. I am freaking out in happiness. way to go kan man. You are the bomb.com. Now it's time to start working on the word "Kasey"...

Daphne said...

YAAAAAY Kanyon!!! Keep up the good work Mom! Maybe try cheez-its or other things with the same flavors or consistencies? I love that you're letting him just explore on his own, and while you're cooking is such a good time - it's a natural time to be snacking! Go Kanyon Go!

-Your Alpine/SLP blog stalker friend :)

Ramey and Stephanie said...

So sweet Jaymie! He looked like he really enjoyed it. :) I know I love cheetos! You've got two very handsome boys!!!

Marianne said...

i know I've commented once on this post, but I hadn't watched the video before the first comment. Now that I have I can only say, "Priceless!!"

Molly Woodall said...

WoooHOOOO! Kanyon - way to go! I love that Cheetos are your favorites!
And Ca-Cu!

Love you 4!

Lynda Zant said...

Yeah! Words and eating in one video. All of your efforts are being absorbed and used in Kanyon's own time! Yeah Kanyon!
Congratulations Phillips family!

jennifer said...

I love reading your blog and keeping up with klp's progress. Just wondering if you have tried the cheeto brand puffed corn? It just dissolves in their mouths. Drake loves it and we do too!!

Brook Speer said...

That is awesome!!! Way to go Kanyon!

tleaf10 said...

I saw this update the other day at work but couldn't comment because ... well ...I was at work. So. I just want to say that I almost cried when I saw the video - I called my sister and told her the whole story - I was so excited! Seriously, the cracker word was so HUGE to me! Keep it up Kanyon! And Quinn is so cute, I hadn't mentioned that lately.

Pearson Family said...

Jaymie, I am a bit behind in the blog reading world, but OH MY GOODNESS! I LOVE HIM! THANK YOU LORD for this miracle! THANK YOU!

Shanna said...

That is awesome news! YAY!!! I mean, who doesn't love a cheeto???

Kelly Litton said...

Hip Hip Hooray!!!

Kyla said...

Well, I'm with Kanyon. If there's anything worth eating, it's gotta be cheetos!! Good job Kanyon!! Eat some cheetos for me! :)

Lilypie
Lilypie First Birthday tickers