Thursday, January 10, 2008

Kanyon's Progress

Before I get to the main part of the post, I just had to show this picture. My in-laws got me new boots for Christmas. They are so very nice and I love them! Maybe when I'm not on house arrest and can get out of the house I can wear them with something besides jogging pants! :)
Before I even start, let me remind you that Kanyon is on is own time line so we might be celebrating over something that doesn't seem like a big deal....to us it is!! Just in the last couple of weeks, Kanyon seems to have taken some big strides. Here are a few:

1. Holding his head up on his tummy. This picture isn't even a good one. We have to help him get his arms in the right spot, but then he pushes up and holds his head up. Not for long, but much longer than he used to! (You'll also notice a brace on his left hand. He's starting to show some tightness in his left side-this will probably be his "affected side" from all of the yuckiness in his head. The brace helps him keep his hand, particularly his thumb, from balling up and being tight. )
1. b). I think we should note the progress on hair growth....see all that fuzziness!? He's working on it!

2. Sitting in his Bumbo. Maybe you remember the first time we put him in it..he SCREAMED instantly. Now look at him go! I put the tray on there so he can play with his toys. I think he looks like a little student sitting at his desk.
3. His Exersaucer. He is starting to hate it less!!! All of these things are pretty much signs that he's gaining that upper body as well as head and neck strength/control. He will play in this and as you can see, he has also learned to read...see him reading the book? (If you've been around much, you'll know that the fact that he's LOOKING at stuff and PLAYING with stuff is a HUGE improvement) His eyes are getting better and because of that, he's interacting a lot more. GO KANYON!
4. Baby food. As you can see, we're a far cry from professional, but we're better than we were. So far, he's obsessed with peaches (I guess that's his East Texas side) and pretty fond of bananas. Not so much green beans or carrots, but we'll keep working on it. He still hasn't mastered the whole opening his mouth thing, I have to help him, but he is SO much better than he was! This was big progress almost overnight. YIPEE!!
5. Chubs. Well, actually he's not gaining weight super fast- we can't seem to hit that 14 lb. mark, but he's climbing a little at a time. But this picture does accentuate his chubby cheeks and full tummy.

We go tomorrow to the Children's Hospital Preemie Follow-up Clinic. This will be our first visit, so I'm not quite sure what to expect. I think they'll just look him over and kind of see where we are. We'll go there every 6 months until he turns 3. We'll let you know how that goes.
I should win an award for being such a dedicated blogger this week. Because of that, I will NOT win an award for laundry girl! I better go work on that.... I've got lots of clothes to fold!

20 comments:

Jodi said...

Oooooh , I just LOVE him! GO KANYON! We're so proud of you (and your parents!) at how hard you work and all your new tricks! Keep it up kiddo! Each new post like this is an answer to our prayers!!!! Love y'all!

Kara said...

i love reading about all the progress kanyon is making! i also love the flannel shirt and cowboy bib. it's so fun to see baby boys in manly clothes!

Rachel said...

GREAT posts all week. I personally think blogging is way more important than laundry. You should see my laundry room.

tleaf10 said...

Thanks so much for updating us on Kanyon's progress ... it is great to see him growing, learning, and getting stronger. I hope the clinic visit goes well. and GREAT job in posting so much ... just makes my day!

Anonymous said...

Thats fabulous! Way to go Kanyon (and Cory and Jaymie)!
Jarod Cox

Pearson Family said...

I am so glad you are behind on laundry!!! Love the boots! Love my Kanyon!

Anonymous said...

yay kanyon! that's awesome, i can't wait to see him do these things in person! give me a shout if you have time tomorrow. love y'all!

ewall said...

Jaymie, I love the pictures that you take of y'all's sweet boy. you get some great shots. glad to hear how he is growing and getting stronger! much love j-me

Marianne said...

Wow, Jaymie! How neat to see the developmental progress that you have been watching for. Way to go!!! You are the Queen of Blog this week, for sure, and I have enjoyed reading everyone of them. I feel like I've been back to Montana. I actually think we ate lunch at the diner next to Showdown this summer.

Anxious to hear the report from your trip to Children's. Love you.

Anonymous said...

Way to go Kanyon!!!!!!!! I love to see those chubby cheeks. I enjoy see all the pictures that you put on the blog--can't get to many for me.

Love ya, Nelda

Beck Boys said...

Love all the updates this week. Laundry will ALWAYS be there. I am glad to see that Kanyon is making progress, progress is progress no matter how long it takes. Thanks for sharing your journey with us ya'll are all doing a wonderful job.

Amy Ritchie said...

I don't remember when or how I started reading your blog but have been following you for some time now as a fellow blogger who understands the loss of a twin and the proudness of our children's milestones.

I just wanted to let you know to be careful with your bumbo seat. I heard there were some recalls on them because of tipping over. Kanyon is so precious. Wouldn't want to have him get hurt.

Anonymous said...

Jaymie,
I went to school last semester and did not have time to read blogs. Now I am enjoying catching up. I am so glad you are keeping up your blog. Kanyon is just too sweet and too cute!
However, I am sorry to have to tell you this: I am glad you have great in laws, but I have the greatest in laws in the world!

Wait for the LORD;
be strong and take heart
and wait for the LORD.
Psalm 27:14

Love and prayers,
Karol E.

Ashley said...

What a little miracle! Congratulations to all of you on your big steps in the right direction

Unknown said...

Yea, Kanyon! So many answered prayers and we continue to lift those prayers up for you as your grow and get bigger each day! Kory and Jaymie...I know you realize what a blessing this little man is, but he is also a blessing to each of us who follow his progress! He truly is a little miracle and it is so amazing to continue to watch all the "little" miracles unfold!
Happy New Year!
Hugs!

The Timberframer's Wife said...

I happen to be partial to chubby bellies myself. Anyway, just so you know, I am never caught up with laundry. My theory is as long as the hamper can close and there isn't too big pile on top of the dryer of clean ones, that's close enough. That's so good about his head raising. Every step is an important one. Sure enjoy all the posts and keep y'all in our prayers.

Jr. and Christie Cox said...

He's so precious! Thanks for sharing the sweet pictures and updates! I'm so glad he got to go to Montana. (You did remind him he's a Texan, right?) Ok, Ok, just a joke... We miss you and hope to see you soon. We love you guys!
Jr., Christie, Kade, Drew, & Macy

Mindi said...

So maybe he's like his mom and not too fond of vegetables??

Anonymous said...

Jaymie
Not sure if you remember me from WO, this is Tracey. Just thought I'd let you know that my sister's baby, Sarah-Beth, also has a weak left side from being so early. Just recently she has started getting botox injections in her left foot at Scottis Rites in Dallas. They say this helps loosen the muscle. She gets the injection and then a cast for 4 weeks. It is amazing the difference in her leg since they started this. She also wore a brace on her left arm when she was smaller. Please e-mail me if would like to know more about my sister's experience with Sarah-Beth. riddledehy@msn.com

Leah (Galloway) Flores said...

Hey Jayms! Kanyon is getting so big. I have a blog now too, so keep in touch! Love Ya!

Lilypie
Lilypie First Birthday tickers