Friday, April 25, 2008

Oh Happy Day!

Today was a monumental day in my life. I returned my rented pump to the hospital. I got some last minute advice from my wonderful lactation nurse and signed it back in to its next victim...I mean mom. This has been the ultimate love-hate relationship, my biggest "frienemy", and my Siamese twin for the last 13 months. The swishing will not be heard in our house anymore, no more pumping in the car while Kory (or whoever) drives, therefore, no passing drivers wondering what in the WORLD is going on, and I will not be hauling all of that stuff everywhere I go!! I am so glad I had it because it was very important to me that Kanyon have my milk. When he was born it was the one thing I could do for him. I am thankful that I had no problems and it was easy for me. With all that said...GOOD RIDDANCE Medela Lactina Electric Plus. I want Kanyon to have my milk until his adjusted age 1 year and I think I have enough stored up. When I started pumping, they warned me that sometimes the stress of NICU life makes it hard to maintain your milk supply. Well, apparently it did the exact opposite of that to me. I was UNREAL...I'm talking 9-11 ounces every 3 hours. When he came home, I leveled out, but needless to say I more than kept up with his eating. I have donated at least 5 ice chests full of the frozen stuff to a milk bank because it was going to get old before Kanyon could eat it. If you have extra milk DON'T THROW IT AWAY...contact Mother's Milk Bank of North Texas and they will give you everything you need to donate it. Ok..I'm off that soap box.


Here is my gear..good ol' Clinique bag with all my gear was the perfect companion to my pump.
THIS is where all the stored milk is..this thing is FULL of it!!! It should last us through July.
And here is the gear tucked away up in the top of a cabinet waiting for the next time...but never again to be used to the extent that it was this time.

I never planned on pumping for this long. I thought I would just long enough for him to learn to nurse...never happened so here I am.

Here is a little Milk Math for you:
I pumped for 392 days
On average every 4 hours (more at the beginning, less at the end)
I've pumped roughly 2,352 times
On average 10 minutes (longer at the beginning, less at the end) each time
23,520 minutes I've spent pumping
392 hours
16.3 days straight of pumping...I should go on a 16 day vacation.

I could've driven to Montana and back 8 times or watched 784 episodes of a fav TV show, played over 261 complete games of basketball, almost 10 weeks of work, 522 of Kanyon's therapy sessions, and over 1.4 million seconds of whatever you can think of. Haha.

Ok, this is too long of a post to be about breast milk and pumping. Sorry if it was a little too much for some of you.

24 comments:

Kaylane said...

Love the stats!! You're my hero!!

annalee said...

that is INCREDIBLE! thanks for putting my 1-2 pumps a day (while at work) into perspective. i will never again pout about having to pump these few weeks. the 16 days and the drives to montana are the most impressive stat to me. WOW!

Kara said...

pumping for that long is something to be very proud of!!! it is not easy and not fun, so way to go!
also, will grinds his teeth...so let me know if you find any remedies for that...the sound of it drives me crazy : /

Go To Girl said...

Good for you!!! I was not a stellar pumper, so I am in awe of you. 5 ice chests donated - that is AMAZING!! Those babies that get your donated milk are so fortunate. You have done a great thing!

Kate said...

AMAZING!!! Wow, Jaymie! That is incredible. There should be some kind of award for that! Congratulations on making it so long. I'll be praying for Kanyon's feeding camp to go well!

Kacy said...

Bless you child!!!!!!!!! I don't think Kanyon could possibly have a more dedicated mommy. And can I just say WOW - 9-11 ounces every 3 hours????? And 5 ice chests donated????? Have you contacted the guiness book to see if you set some kind of record?

Unknown said...

Before we leave for the walk in Houston, I wanted to let you know I am carrying a photo of Jayde and Kanyon with me tomorrow. I am proud to know you, Jaymie - your strength and courage are inspiring!
Hugs!

Anonymous said...

I found your blog through Amy. I'm impressed with your pumping skills. I have an 8 month old and have been contemplating whether to stop pumping/nursing now or try to make it until she is a year old. You have inspired me to keep going! I'll keep you and your family in my prayers as you begin "feeding camp."

The Timberframer's Wife said...

Way to go! That's so good, and both of y'all will have lifelong benefits from your perseverence.

TexasNeals said...

HAHAHA! you are awesome! cheers to another milk maid! i am so proud of you for sticking w/ it for so long. you are such a great mom, jaimie! so glad you get to ditch the pump!!

Chris and Becky said...

YOU'RE UNBELIEVABLE!! OH OH OH! GIRL I DID IT FOR 3 MONTHS AND I WANTED A MEDAL. I CAN'T IMAGINE DOING IT FOR 13 MONTHS! I'M SO GLAD YOU COULD DO THAT FOR KANYON. HE'S A SPECIAL BOY WITH A SPECIAL MOM. I HAD THE SAME PUMP YOU HAD AND I LOVED TO HATE THE THING. I RETURNED MINE WITH A LITTLE GRUDGE AGAINST IT. BUT I THINK YOU SHOULD HAVE HAD A BOND FIRE AND ALL OF US MOM'S WHO HAVE HAD TO PUMP BEFORE COULD HAVE COME AND DANCED AROUND THE FIRE WITH YOU. SINCE WE DIDN'T GET TO I GUESS YOU CAN CELEBRATE BY HAVING A MILK SHAKE. OH MILK! SORRY! HAVE A GREAT NO PUMPING WEEK!
BECKY P.

Jr. and Christie Cox said...

Yeah! I'm so happy for you. You did good! Thinking about you and Kanyon daily!
Love,
Christie

The Baldwin Family said...

Thank you so much for this post. I live in Houston and have a preemie baby (born at 27 weeks, now 9 weeks old - now in Level II NICU) and have been pumping, pumping, pumping. I too am pumping massive amounts of milk and appreciate all your posts, but this one in particular.

Keep up the great work with your amazing son! He's such a cutie and your blog always gives me such hope for the progress of my son.

Kim Baldwin
thebaldwinbaby.blogspot.com

Sarah said...

I am not sure if I say Congrats or if I am supposed to say something else, but I loved the post!

Brandynn said...

Can I just say another WOW at the 9-11 ounces figure. My babies nursed well but pumping and I didn't get along. On the rare times when hubby and I could go out for a few hours alone, I would have to start pumping at the beginning of the week. If I got 2 ounces A DAY I felt blessed. I didn't have an electric hospital pump, though, so I'm sure that made a difference. I've been strengthened and encouraged from reading your blog, so please continue. Now that you have all that free time from pumping, you can post more pictures! :o) (No, really, I love the pictures.)

The McCarter Family said...

That is UNBELIEVABLE - especially when you break down the time like you did! You are a heck of a lot more commited than I was!!! Congratulations and enjoy that freedom!

Mindi said...

That really made me laugh! I'm sort of glad that I won't have to be one of those drivers anymore!!!

RachelShingleton said...

Ok, you are totally my pumping hero! You deserve a gold medal! I was a NICU mom, and I can definitely attest to the stress affecting my supply. I only lasted five weeks, but I know how not-fun the pump can be! Kudos to you!
-Rachel Shingleton

Melissa Taylor said...

You are truly amazing - I could never have pumped that long. I am happy that it is over for you. I hated pumping, and I didn't have to do it like you, so you are a champ! You are a good mommy - putting your childs needs above your own wants!

daughteroftheking said...

Wow!! Now that is a lot of pumping girl!
I loved all the stats.

Heather said...

Congratulations Jaymie! That is sooo awesome! I have breastfed 3 babies but you are definitely my new hero that you have kept with pumping for this long! That is amazing! Way to go! Woo hoo! (Cheering for you here at my computer) ;)

Anonymous said...

I bet you can say: "MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" :-)
Love ya girl and soo proud of you! Thanks for the stats...what a smile you gave me. Now when I hear people complaining about pumping or "I can't do that..." I will refer them to your blog!
Love,
Maggie

Matthew and Jessica Green said...

I hate pumping!! I am simply amazed that you did it EVERYDAY and EVERY 4 hrs!! You are really a fantastic mother. This post just brought it all into perspective how much you love your little guy. You are an inspiration...

Anonymous said...

Jaymie~
OMG! LOVE IT GIRL! YOU ARE AMAAAZING! THE LONGEST I EVER MADE IT WAS WITH EMMY AND THAT WAS FOR 4 MONTHS. AND YES THE WHOLE STRESS THING HAD ABSOLUTELY THE TEXT BOOK EFFECT ON ME WITH CLAIRE & CASE. IN THE SHORT 3 WEEKS I LASTED WITH CLAIRE I EVEN MANAGED TO GET MASTITIS. WHAT'S UP WITH THAT?? ANYWAYS YOU WERE MADE TO BE A MOMMY AND WHAT A GREAT ONE YOU ARE. KANYON & JAYDE ARE SO LUCKY TO HAVE YOU AS THEIRS! GOD BLESS & I'M STILL PRAYING FOR YALL!
STEPHANIE BOUTWELL

Lilypie
Lilypie First Birthday tickers