Tuesday, April 17, 2018

School Time and More Fun Visitors

I was *this* close to making it all summer without stirring up a bowl of slime.  I finally gave in to the requests and we had a nice time mixing everything to make a mediocre bowl of slime that wasn't good enough for anyone to want to play with it.  Check that off our summer bucket list.  


This was a big time of year for our house.  After 2 years of homeschooling, Quinn was headed to school! He was SO EXCITED! Honestly I think this would've all been a lot harder for me had he not been so confident, excited, and in no way sad to leave me behind at home! We went to meet the teacher with Mrs. Cloud and that just built the excitement even more! 


Checking out his locker! He was excited to share it with his soccer friend Wes.  

Meanwhile on the 4th grade hall, Kan Man was zipping through Meet The Teacher like he was running the show all along.  


The next morning was the big day for Quinn.  Kanyon skips the first 2 days of school since they are usually hectic and frazzled. It is better for him to show up once the first couple days have happened and everything is functioning in the "normal" routine.  He will be ready to go Monday for the first full week.  

Excitement was in the air...New shirt, new shoes, and his first backpack! 

What I'm not saying out loud is "school is dumb. give me my kid back. leave me alone and let me sleep in. don't boss me around." but as much as I hate it, I know how fun it is.  Hello!? I used to welcome these little second graders into my classroom for a year full of good things! So despite my sadness and bitterness towards the loss of my own schedule, I was excited for Quinn.  


We got to school and I told him I would walk him in if he wanted me to or he could go in by himself. (I asked around about what I was supposed to do since this is my rookie year as a "real" school mom....they all said some patens come in some don't. So I let him choose.) In his sweet, thoughtful, most Quinn response he said "Whatever you want, Mom.  I'm fine with whatever." I fought the impulse to pick him up and carry him in on my hip and told him it was his day, his decisions.  He said, "I'll go in by myself." So off went my dude.  I didn't really cry, but I did go buy myself a giant cinnamon roll.  Kory stayed pretty close that day sensing it was probably best for me to have some good company.  Good call, hubby. 


Longest Day ever was finally over and I went to go pick him up.  He was all smiles and full of lots of stories and information about his day.  We celebrated with a McFlurry! 


Kory was home with the other 2 and Q sat on his lap and gave him the full report of the day.


That night, we got more company! Our sweet friend Kinsey and her friend Lauren came to visit.  Kinsey's family went to church with us in Longview.  We spent lots of time with her through our youth group and she was our go-to babysitter! She's all grown up now and graduated from A&M! She and Lauren had just spent almost a year in Peru doing mission work so I was thrilled to meet Lauren and so happy to see Kinsey after such a long time! They were great girls and we had a great time! As a reminder of just how small the world is, one of the families they worked with in Peru is from Lewistown.  They were here on furlough so Kins and Lauren got to spend time with them as well.  Yay for the world coming together in Lewistown, Montana! 



We went out to show the girls the ranch and Juney girl managed to find her way to the saddle again.  




There really is nothing that makes her happier...if you can't tell by that sweet, proud grin on her face.  


Kinsey and Lauren were ready to be Montana Cowgirls in their Chacos so they took off with Kory to ride the range! 



Meanwhile, our sweet Jona was having her birthday party! 2 years old and so much fun! 


We gave her a purse full of fantastic things that she wasted no time putting to good use.  


Sweet cousin pals. I'm so thankful these girls have each other. We love Jona so much! 


Sweet Kinsey....its so fun when the youth group kids turn into real life friends! 





The second day of school when I picked Quinn up he said he had a headache. I thought he was just overwhelmed and tired from the first 2 days of school.  We had the weekend ahead of us so I figured he'd be fine.  Well...as the days went on things got worse and we took him to the Dr. and he had pneumonia! It was the weirdest thing and the poor kid felt terrible! 

So when Monday rolled around, Kanyon was ready for his first day but Quinn was down and out.  

Here's Kanyon Luke ready for his first day of 4th Grade! This was also a big year for Kanyon because he was starting full days.  Over the years we've gradually worked up to 5 days a week, longer days, and now we were ready for the full schedule (at least we hoped we were!).


Mrs. Alex, his aide (same one from last year) and Mrs. Murphy, his special Ed teacher.  Both are incredibly great and we are sooooo thankful! 


Meanwhile at home, the poor thing was hardly moving from the chair.  He sounded terrible and felt so bad but kept begging to go to school.  So sad.  


Finally after the whole week off school he started to perk up, fever quit, and his lungs cleared up.  So he and Jaylie were busy making hang gliders for their stuffed animals.  


FINALLY the next week they were both headed to school together! 


Its a pretty sweet time for these 2 to be at the same school and both be conquering new things together.  Meanwhile I'm home with Jaylie June who is completely lost without her brothers.  


No comments:

Lilypie
Lilypie First Birthday tickers