Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Day 36

Well, we've had some pretty exciting things happen in the last 24 hours! Kory and I went in last night to make our night night visit and when we got there, Kanyon was not in his flat open bed, he was in a BIG BOY BED!! What is that you ask..we'll the official name is an isolette. Its just the incubator/bubble looking things that are completely covered. We have to open the holes on the outside. We all feel like this is a pretty big deal! I think he will like it much better there. It is more quiet because its closed in. He's been pretty sensitive to noise, so this will help him not be bothered. We are proud of him and feel like it shows that his nurses feel confident that they won't have to be messing with him too much so they put him in that! YIPEE!! We hope and pray that this little step forward will just keep moving..we don't want to go back to that "baby bed".

The next big news came seconds after we saw him in his isolette....KORY GOT TO HOLD HIM!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!! He has been waiting so long for this and it finally happened! We were all so excited (Kanyon didn't say anything out loud, but I could tell he was THRILLED!). Kanyon did great being held and so did his Daddy!

THEN...my mom and I went in this morning to visit and the nurse asked if we wanted to hold him and she said my mom could! So...she got to hold him too! Another very exciting moment for Kanyon and his.....umm....well..we haven't quite settled on her grandma name! :) But it was sweet and fun for all of us.

I did get my turn tonight. We got to do the kangaroo thing for a good long time. He did great and it was sweet to have him with me again.

As for his medical update, there is news there too. I think I wrote yesterday that they were going to leave his head thing alone for a while....as we've seen, things can change pretty quickly, and they did. His Dr. decided to go ahead and start a series of spinal taps to drain some of that fluid and see if that won't help the swelling. His head measurements weren't growing very fast and his head scan showed little or no growth, but when you look at his head where his soft spot is, you can see that it is bulging a little. SOOO..they started those spinal taps today and will do one tomorrow and then from there they will continue to do them every day or couple of days. They'll do head scans to check the results. I think this situation is the heaviest on our minds right now. We are praying and ask you all to pray that this will resolve on its own; that if it is a clot that is causing it, that the clot will dissolve and this will take care of itself. We pray that these taps will help relieve some of the pressure and jump start the draining. Please just pray for this particular issue and for GOD's healing hand to intervene and take care of it and protect Kanyon from possible complications from the swelling. We have seen GOD's powerful hand already so we know he can do it again! We'll keep you posted on this, but it may be a week or two before they can really tell if its working or not.

This has been terribly long post...but since you are still here....I'll tell you that I have some GREAT pictures coming your way!!!!!! All of the exciting events of the last 24 hours were of course captured with a camera, its just a matter of getting those pictures from different cameras to my computer. We're working on it! They are just precious....so keep checking! Thank y'all so much for your prayers. It never gets old hearing people say "We're praying!" that is the greatest thing in the world!

39 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so awesome to hear that your mom and hubby got to hold the baby! You are always in our thoughts and prayers. Keep up the good work, Kanyon!!
God Bless

Anonymous said...

Go God!
Go Kanyon!
Go Mavs!
And yes, we're still praying - for K-Dog, that is... not the Mavs (although 2 more wins by the Mavs would be nice, we'll use our prayer time for the "drainage issue").
How about the K-Dog... better than the other one i was thinking of: K-Pasa. Just imagine, K-Pasa and Diego playing together one day. Ahh... dreams...! (I've found that, as a child, it's better to have someone to get beat up with over your name, rather than suffer alone).
We love you guys and are very glad that Kory got to play Kaptain Kangaroo... FINALLY! Awesome!
Again... GO GOD!

Mary said...

What great news! I'm so glad y'all got to have such special family times together yesterday today! We're praying for you all the time, and we love you so much!

jennifer said...

What wonderful news! We are praying for all of you daily! Can't wait to see the sweet pictures!

Jennifer, Kenny, and Kennan

Anonymous said...

Yay!! A Big Boy bed! God is good! We are still praying! It is so uplifting to come on hear and read your blogs. May it continue!!

Aimee Akin

The McCarter Family said...

Jaymie - It was so good to see you on Sat. You look so good! I was thrilled to read the news about Kory and Gay holding Kanyon! I was just asking your mom about that Sat. Great news! I know they were absolutely thrilled! We are praying specifically for the taps to work! WE LOVE YALL!

Anonymous said...

What exciting news to hear! Puts joy in my heart,tears in my eyes and a great big smile on my face! Way to go Kanyon! Will continue to pray of course. Can't wait to see the new pictures!
Love-
Tracie Cole

Pearson Family said...

I am waiting anxiously for the pictures! How exciting for you Kory and Gay, and mommy to hold that miracle. Love you! and of course, praying.

Kendra said...

I am praying . . thanks for the updates and the pictures! I just laid hands on my 13 month old, Brady, and we prayed and talked about the spots on Kanyon's head that need to "flow freely". Blessings on your little family!
Kendra Vaughn (Susan's friend who checks your blog daily to see how you guys are doing)

Mayhem And Miracles said...

What a very special moment, Kanyon getting to be held by Daddy. I didn't realize that hadn't happened yet...such an amazing blessing! I am so glad you are sharing your story with some of us out here in blogland. I have been pulling for you since I found you through a friend's blog and then your cousin. I have a medically fragile niece as well so these stories mean so much to me now. I just said a prayer for Kanyon to be relieved of the pressure in his head. I hope you have an amazing day with your little boy in his big bed!

Beck Boys said...

I love all the exciting news. I am glad that everyone got to hold that sweet little one. We will keep praying for Kanyon and the rest of you. Thanks for the updates.

Molly Woodall said...

WOW...it sounds like things are really going good. Prayers are such a powerful way to know that not only are we thinking of you, but that God is listening to each and every one.
We love you all!
Molly

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

Yeah! Kory, I know you are walking on cloud nine to be able to hold your little boy! What a precious time. and for Gay to be able to hold her grandbaby pure goodness, we are praying and I can't wait to see the pictures, too fun!

JENNY said...

Hey Jaymie,
I'm still praying for sweet Kanyon daily. Thanks for keeping us updated and for posting all of the fun pictures!
Love,
Jenny Thompson (Fullerton)

Anonymous said...

OH! Jaymie, Gay and Kory, I have chills from top to bottom. I know that you soak up every minute of holding time and I am so glad that you were all able to touch and hold him so close! We will continue to pray for his continuous steps forward and especially for his spinal taps to be positive. We love all y'all!

Karl and Andrea

Anonymous said...

Yeah to daddy getting to kangaroo!! And grandma too!! I am glad things are getting better. He will continue to be in my preemie group to pray for. Including my son, there are five I pray for each and every night.

Rachel
www.babysites.com/sites/mcconathy1

Meredith said...

Hurray Kanyon!!! We're so proud of you!! That is all wonderful news!!! We'll be praying about the swelling, I just know it is going to resolve on its own!! You guys are doing great! Hang in there! Praise God!

Lindsey Eason said...

Awww!! That is SO great that he got to be held by his daddy, Grandmommy and mommy!!! And YAY for the big boy bed!!! I'm SO happy for you guys!!! We'll be praying for the swelling...keep us updated on what the results of the tests are.

Adam and Kristen (or doodle for some) said...

I can feel your excitement jumping out from these words, and it's congagious! We're praying and can't wait to see the pictures!

Anonymous said...

Jaymie we are so excited for all the good news. We can't wait for the new pictures. We miss you and love you.
Your 2nd Grade Teacher Buddies

Kara said...

It always makes my day to read these exciting updates about Kanyon! Yall are always in our thoughts and prayers- keep it up Kanyon!

Jennifer K said...

Yeah! It is great to hear about all of the cuddle time Kanyon's getting! We're still praying!

Jennifer King

Kate said...

Yeah! I'm so glad Kory and your mom got to hold him! Such exciting news! I will be praying for the fluid in his head to drain and the spinal taps to help. I look forward to seeing those pictures!! Love you.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see the pictures! I check the blog every chance I get and Todd and I pray for y'all without fail every night! We love you little Kanyon!

Sarah said...

GO KANYON!!! yay for so much great progress, I can't wait to keep getting such great updates. We love you guys!

Sarah and Sparky

Julie said...

we are rejoicing and praying...

Ashley said...

YAY for Daddy and Gay! That is so great!

Jodi said...

I can't wait for the pictures! I am so glad that the joy of this little guy is being shared by more of the family! Especially Daddy! Of course, we're still praying! Not a day goes by that someone doesn't ask me about Kanyon. People that don't even know you. It is so amazing. God is so good!

I was so blessed getting to hug your neck last week, Jaymie. I love you more than I could tell ya!

Anonymous said...

YEAH!!! What exciting progress!! Praying continuously!!!!

Love you guys-BP

Anonymous said...

WOW, what awesome news!!!! I am so glad to hear of his progression and that your mom and husband got to hold Kanyon! What a wonderful day!! I can't wait to see the pictures! You guys continue to be in our thoughts and prayers.
Love, the Caldwell Crew
Jeanna,Mark,Chase,Casey,Emily,Camri,and Caden
www.caringbridge.org/tx/cadencaldwell

Anonymous said...

I can hardly contain my excitement as I type this. I'm SO thrilled that Kory and Mama Gay were finally able to hold him. We're praying that the spinal taps do their job.
Love,
Jason, Sheridie & Gibson Dyess

Anonymous said...

Big boy beds are the best! Yeah Kanyon. Before you know it,he'll be home in his own bed! That day is coming. We praise God for Kanyon's continuing strength. Prayer works. KT

Anonymous said...

Jaymie, Your post was such good news to read. I know it has been a great couple days for you and Kory. As always, we continue to pray and keep all of you in our hearts. Thanks for taking time to keep us updated, can't wait to see the pics.

Love, Jole

Leah said...

Already a big boy bed...He's GT!

Great news!!!

Michael and Katie said...

Yay! What great news! I can't wait to see the pictures. You guys continue to be in our thoughts and prayers every single day. Love y'all!

Michael and Katie Clark

Kyla said...

Yeah Kanyon! I'm still praying here in Searcy. Love ya Jaymie!

Kyla (Diles) Gentry

Anonymous said...

We're thrilled you all had such a good day. It's good to know what to pray for specifically. Can't wait to see the new pictures.
Love,
Roger and Vicki

Unknown said...

Praise God! What a joy for all of you that Kanyon felt the strength of his daddy on this very day! We are praying constantly, and on this particular night will ask God to remove anything that might be affecting blood flow or anything else in his little brain.
Hugs!

annalee said...

PRAISE GOD FOR KANYON'S GOOD NEWS! we are so thankful for God's hands that are working on your sweet boy each day, and so thankful that his daddy's sweet hands were able to hold him!

Lilypie
Lilypie First Birthday tickers