Monday, March 10, 2008

Dr. Update

Yes, that's right..another Dr. Update...we don't usually go much more than a week!! We started our day very early this morning (there at 6:30 am) for Kanyon to have an MRI done on his spine. I have been dreading this because he had to be put to sleep for the procedure. I was mostly dreading the fact that he would have to be intubated (breathing tube/vent) which I HATE and got plenty of in our NICU days. But, it was the safest way to do it. When I went to get him in recovery, the Dr. said that they didn't have to use the breathing tube..he breathed great the whole time on his own!!! YEAH!!!! Look at those chronic lungs doing their thing!! :) The only down side was that it took them 45 minutes and an UNREAL amount of tries to get an IV in him. Luckily he was already asleep, but his arms and legs are covered with "attempts". He woke up great and was back to his normal self very soon. We are so thankful. We met with the Neurosurgeon this afternoon to check in and get the results. The MRI came back normal. There is nothing wrong with his spine! That doesn't help us in the mystery of the crooked foot , but we are glad to not be dealing with the spine. I was actually more worried about the "getting put to sleep" think than the actual results and all of it went really well. I was reminded once again today that Kanyon is quite a trooper. This would all be so much more stressful if he wasn't so laid back and quick to bounce back from all the comotion. We will head back to Dallas on Monday to get ready for his eye surgery on Tuesday. Another "put to sleep thing" so keep the whole procedure in your prayers. I guess the biggest thing that we ask you to pray for right now is his head. It is measuring small and not growing much. The Dr. said that was common with shunted babies, but we want to ditch this! Obviously we need it to grow, so we are praying specifically for that. Thanks for coming along with us! And thanks for the sweet encouragement since my last post. I have some cute pics..I'll have to post them when I get back to Longview (I'm in Paris). Thanks again!

14 comments:

Corbitt Family said...

We will keep praying for Kanyon especially for his surgery on Tuesday! A few more weeks and he can come out and play with us!

Jodi said...

Yay for good news on the MRI! And you guys will be in my thoughts and prayers all night and into tomorrow for his surgery. We love that little KanMan so much!

I just got to read your last post, and through a really "ugly" cry I am praising God for you. Seriously Jaymie, you have no idea how much your openness and "real-ness" touch those of us who read your words. I honestly want to be a better mommy to Reagan because of seeing you with Kanyon... and seeing how you are still a Mommy of two in your heart of hearts. That sounds like lip service, but it is true. God has built faith up in me because of your story, and I love you more for it! As much as I hate that this month will bring you hurt that is even more fresh, I LOVE that it will bring you amazing joy to look at that little son of yours and praise our Father for what this year has brought to Kanyon. I love you and hurt and rejoice and pray with you!

The McCarter Family said...

Great news on the MRI! You are in our prayers for the upcoming eye surgery! I'm sure that your little "trooper" will do great!

High Heels and Huntin' Boots said...

Jaymie,
We will keep Kanyon in our prayers. Jerrye was asking me about y'all last night. I knew his eye surgery was coming up, but I couldn't remember when.
About your last post, thank you for sharing your personal thoughts. It's hard to imagine what all you and Kory have gone through, but you are both such strong, amazing Christian people. And you are examples to everyone in your lives. Keep the Faith!
Oh, and we're probably not going to make the camp reunion, but we're coming in the following weekend for my cousin's graduation which will be in Paris. I don't know what our crazy schedule will be like, but hopefully we can see you guys!

The Timberframer's Wife said...

Mr. Kanyon is definitely in our prayers for all the concerns you mentioned..on a side note, my son just walked by and told his oldest sister to be nice right before he hit her. Kind of inconsistent logic, I think. Better get involved in this. Y'all take care!

annalee said...

praise God for the good MRI and praying daily for your sweet strong boy and y'all!

Molly Woodall said...

I will pray hard for his head and for the eye surgery! God bless you as you are going through all this procedures.
God is good and he's taking good care of Kanyon. Jade is up there in heaven cheering him on and watching over him.
Love you 3!

Silverthornes said...

We will for sure keep him in our prayers

Kelly said...

Jaymie,

I just came across your blog and am amazed at what a God Fearing and strong woman that you are. We will definitely keep little Kanyon in our prayers.

In Him,
Kelly Dixon

Chris and Becky said...

WE ARE PRAYING FOR YOU GUYS. THE LORD IS CONSTANTLY WATCHING OVER YOU. HUGS AND KISSES TO KANYON FROM CALEB.

karen said...

Sniff sniff, I was gutted I didn't get to see you and meet Kanyon. And we were in Paris at the same time - D'oh. Saying that, I would have probably scared your little man as your brother had just paralysed half my face (oh the fun of going to the dentist!)
Glad to hear all was good with the MRI. I'll be sure and keep you in my prayers for your next doctors visit. Eyes are important ... can he eat carrots yet? :-)

The Phamily Matriarch said...

I pray that Kanyon's surgery goes well for Monday. The worst feeling is to have to "put your preemie to sleep". I understand it well.

May a calm spirit be with you.

Jaclyn

Anonymous said...

kanyon is one tough dude. i am always praying for him and y'all. love you.

Tammy said...

I enjoyed seeing you and visiting with you while you were in Paris! We are praying for Kanyon's head and eyes. Lots of love!

Lilypie
Lilypie First Birthday tickers