Monday, March 31, 2008

Yes, we are still here!

I can't believe it has taken me this long to post, but we have had an unbelievably hectic week. I'll try to re-cap, I'll probably type too much, and I probably posted too many pictures, but oh well. As I mentioned in the last post, Kanyon had his first cold. I felt so sorry for him. He just felt so crummy. As if this week wasn't going to be hard enough, this came down on us. Luckily we had our 1 year well check already scheduled, so we were able to let Dr. Chris listen to him. His lungs sounded good and clear (THANK YOU!) so we just had to get through the cold. More about that later, but as you know, this was birthday week. Definitely an interesting range of emotions in our house. It seems kind of crazy to celebrate the worst day of my life, but we have a sweet little boy who is with us and that is what we celebrated...Kanyon!! We are so proud of him and how hard he has and is working to get stronger. I have to say that we have once again been floored by how generous and thoughtful our friends are. We received so many cards in the mail, flowers, emails, phone calls, etc. reminding us that there were people thinking about us and praying for us this week. I just can't believe the love we've felt. Thank you. Ok...on to pictures.

Here is Kanyon on his birthday talking to PawPaw (my dad). He called to tell him Happy Birthday. They chatted for a bit, but since Kanyon was puny, they kept it pretty quick.
The same people who were poking and prodding on Kanyon 1 year ago poked and prodded on him Wednesday. Dr. Chris and Amanda (who was a NICU nurse and is now in practitioner school) checked him out. That also means he got 4 shots and blood drawn...that in turn led to a sleepless night...well, I went to bed at 5:45 when mom came and relieved me. Sick + shots=fussy baby. He's never reacted to shots AT ALL, so this came out of nowhere. I think it was just too much. He was over it by the next afternoon. Here we are opening his first Birthday present from Cousin Sayler, Uncle Clint, and Aunt Sydni. He loved the shoes and took the time to read his basketball card!
My first birthday cake in the works. Thankfully my mom was here to help me and help with Kanyon. The poor baby had a rough week..I wish he would pick his times to be sick a little better. Like not during his birthday when I have a gajillion cupcakes to make and a party to have. It would've been IMPOSSIBLE without my mom. Not to mention she is the pro cake decorator who helped me know what to do.
Clay and Mo got there in time for Mo to help me put the finishing touches on the table. My future niece or nephew was there too as you can see in that beautiful round belly!
Here is the cake. I felt kind of lame just putting a bug on the top, but there was NO way I was going to try and draw one. And I whouldn't have done it green because every bug in the world is green and didn't show up...oh well.
Mom the birthday party sick baby helper of the YEAR!!!!!!!!!

I tried to keep the bugs manly...NO LADY BUGS!!!!!!!!!!! I did the cake, some dirt dessert, and lots of different cupcakes.
Here is the all too easy and non-creative Caterpillar. With our circumstances I ended up doing a few more caterpillars than I planned...green icing-one face-pretty easy.
Here is one of the beetles. I intended to have more of these, but they took FOREVER. I got them from Martha Stewart..that woman makes me mad. I think she is fake..her stuff doesn't even look real. Her beetles looked PERFECT and well...this was as good as mine got!
A bumble bee
Another beetle
A pic of the table..bugs bugs everywhere!!

Speaking of bugs...2 bugs showed up! Aubrey and LoLo came dressed for a bug party!! They have always been 2 of Kanyon's most thoughtful and talented friends. They made this awesome picture of Kanyon the tooth bug and came dressed with bug shirts and antennas! Thanks girls!

Here is the birthday boy himself. About 2 hours before the party he started to smile a little and act like he felt better. I wasn't sure how he would handle the party healthy, much less sick. He did great. That was BY FAR the most noise and stimulation he's had in his life. He did so great! We took his bouncy seat of course and he bounced away as happy as can be!
That is all the pics I have of the party..I got busy talking and didn't take any...OOPS!
We took this after the party..I was wiped out! And somehow I never cut the cake. Don't ask me how that happened. It wasn't like he was going to eat it anyways. We took care of it this weekend.
This was Kanyon voicing his opinion about the Happy Birthday hat that Aunt Nancye gave him.
Totally non-birthday related: I really think his eyes work better now! Since his surgery, he's discovered that he can look up and see things. He thinks the ceiling is HILARIOUS!!! Here he is laughing at the sky light in our living room. I just think it is so cute and we are so thankful and hopeful about his eyes.
I mean look at his sweet little face.
Since Kanyon was sick on Easter I never took a picture with his basket and him all dressed up. Well, he's not dressed up, but here is his basket. He could care less. I felt like I had to at least take a picture.


I'm sure I left something out, but that should give you something to look at for a while. We are headed to Dallas Wednesday for a feeding evaluation at a special feeding clinic. The feeding is going terrible and he's not gaining enough weight. We will probably be inpatient there at the clinic (we'll find out for sure after the eval) for a while and hopefully we can get some of his issues resolved or at least managed. We're going to EATING CAMP! This is kind of our last hope before we have to take more drastic measures. Please say an extra prayer for that this week. This has been a battle from the time we brought him home and has been the source of more stress than I thought I was capable of feeling. We are desperate for some help for all of us. We're hoping this is it! We'll keep you posted.
Thanks again for your thoughts and prayers last week. We are so very very blessed.


26 comments:

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

what a sweet post! I praised God all week for Kanyon's life and if anyone ever needed proof that prayer works, well you son is that proof.

I love the cake! super cute. and yes, I think Martha is fake too. She did a butterfly cupcake one time, I tried it and it didn't look anywhere close to a butterfly.

I will be praying for the Eating Camp. May you get all your questions answered and good, sound advice! :)

love you couz!

susan

The McCarter Family said...

Your bugs were sooo cute! I would NEVER even have the courage to attempt something like that! WOW! It was so good to see yall Sunday with your little man! Praying hard for the eating issues!

Anonymous said...

We continue to lift all of you up in prayer. What a fun birthday party!! Bugs are right up a boy's alley. Thanks for being open and honest with the struggles and the highlights. We think of you often. Mark and Jana Hanner

Sydni said...

You did such an amazing job on the bug cakes! Woah. I'm so excited to see these pictures... since we weren't there.

Please let us know the specifics on the eating camp - as you can or want to. We love you all so much.

Jodi said...

WOW! You are SOME party planner! That is amazing, and he will LOVE looking back at all those pictures. Be prepared Mommy, after seeing those pics, he'll probably want to recreate that party sometime when he actually can remember it! It was so great! And btw, I think the beetle cupcakes were incredible!

I can't tell you how great that picture of him looking at the ceiling is. To think that he is "seeing" things for the first time is awesome... we'll keep praying for those precious eyes.

Best wishes for Eating Camp! I'm thankful such a place exists for you that maybe can give Kanyon some strength and you guys some peace. Keep us updated when you can.

Love y'all to pieces!

Kayla said...

I have been following your family's story almost from the beginning. I've prayed for you constantly, but I think I've only commented once, if at all.

I just wanted to say that the birthday cakes looked awesome! And you definitely did not look like a woman who had been taking care of a sick baby all week. You looked beautiful! Thanks for keeping us updated. I look forward to seeing Kanyon's continued progress.

Anonymous said...

cute cupcakes and cakes! nice job! kanyon's going to eating camp! i will definetly be praying that that boy starts eating and gaining some weight. i can't wait to see all the pics from the party. the pictures you posted are precious and it makes me sooooo happy to see him looking, and seeing (!) the ceiling! that's too cute. love y'all!

annalee said...

what a party! praise God for Kanyon's first year. you are the cutest mom too, i loved seeing your sweet guy's face and all your fabulous party touches.

Leah (Galloway) Flores said...

What a cute b-day party! I love your hair. Again, you and I are so alike. Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

I keep up with your precious boy religiously. Thanks for sharing! I have a wonderful 9 year old whose gone through much of what Kanyon is--we understand those feeding issues! I'll be praying for all of you. Cathy Burson
(friend of your mom and dad)

Jessica said...

we'll be thinking about ya'll tomorrow! i pray your trip is safe and that ya'll all learn a lot.
we love ya'll and the party was a blast!
-jessica

Kyla said...

Jaymie,
You did such a good job on Kanyon's birthday cake and cupcakes! That was such a cute idea!! Sorry that he was sick. I know that made it a lot harder. Glad he's doing better though! - By the way, his eyes look perfect now since he had that surgery. We're praying for his feeding issues now! - This is random, but I love your hair. - Thanks also for the 'happy b-day text you sent Ava. :)

daughteroftheking said...

What a great post! I love all the cupcakes, and the cake looks fantastic! You guys did an awesome job with the party especially since the birthday boy wasn't feeling well.
We will be praying all goes well at eating camp!
with love
Missy J

Unknown said...

I am very impressed with all the bugs! You may have a future in cake decorating or party planning! I am so happy Kanyon felt better and enjoyed his day! We know that the Father will bless him with many more happy birthdays! I am praying for the feeding issues - God has worked many miracles in this little one's life and He can do this, too! After my post, several friends came to your blog and read your "story". They have all commented to me how very strong you all are - and how wonderful that you have shared Kanyon's story. You will never know who you may have touched who may be dealing with some of the same issues. I am proud of you, Jaymie, and I know the Father is too!
Hugs!

Kendra said...

Love the post . . YOU ROCK at cake making/decorating/baking . .all that stuff!!!

I will be praying about the Wednesday appointment . . I'll ask the Lord to go before you and to prepare the way for the floodgates to be opened for you guys and your little man. Praying for good therapists, good information, and special blessings on you guys as you work with K. He WILL be a champ!! Thanks for keeping us posted!

jasonandchaney said...

Wow you worked hard on all the birthday fun. Great job. Kyla and I have been thinking about you a lot this week. We are already planning a trip to see K-man (and his parents) since she will be in Dallas not too far from Tyler and Longview. I will be thinking about you as you go to eating camp. Thanks for all the updated.

Keri said...

I am not sure how I actually came across your blog but I have been reading it for a while now. I love all your updates of Kanyon. What a sweet guy you have for sure. I just wanted to stop lurking and actually comment.

Marianne said...

Awesome party! Awesome mom and grandmother!! The bug cupcakes are so creative. GREAT JOB!!

I know the feeding issues are troubling. Praying that Eating Camp is the beginning of a good solution to that!!!

I was so glad to see Kanyon in Paris on Sunday. Sweet little boy!

Love you

Sue H. said...

Hi, Jaymie-
We may have met at Clay and Mo's wedding, I'm not sure. I am an old friend of the McWilliams'
from their days in Atlanta, and I have been following you all and Kanyon since day one.
We have an adopted daughter, who is going to be 19 years old this week. Her's is one of those long, sad stories that result from a mom abusing alcohol during pregnancy, but I won't go into all that right now. She is 55" tall and weighs 60# on a good day. Feeding has always been an issue for her. She had a cleft palate, so that was a major feeding problem, and she had reflux that caused aspiration pneumonia which resulted in a surgical procedure called a Nisen fundoplication to prevent the reflux and she had a feeding tube put in at that time.
Needless to say, I can relate to the stress that you have been having regarding Kanyon's feeding situation. I would love to talk to you and be a support during this time, if you feel like talking with someone who has been down the path on which you are embarking.
I am a nurse and a sister in Christ. Vicki McWilliams or Mo can give you my contact info.
I am happy that Kanyon is doing so well-he is a cutie. I love it when you curl his spike ; )
Sue Hixson

Charlotte said...

I LOVE your cake and ALL your beetles! Way to go, super MOM!
Love, Charlotte Connally

sharon said...

that was the greatest bug party ever! i'm super impressed. i've still never met kanyon, but i love that baby boy and say prayers for him often. i also love his mama (and...your hair)! :)

Jr. and Christie Cox said...

Great Party! We are praying for Kanyon this week and "EATING CAMP". I love you and I just want to tell you that I am SO proud of you. You are a precious mom.
Christie & family

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KANYON!!!!
Jaymie I love your cakes. You have one precious boy. He looks great! Peggy C.

TexasNeals said...

what a cool party! we ended up not being able to make it b/c molly b and jack were caughing up a storm! :( the cake was awesome and the cupcakes were too! you did such a great job! i hate that we missed it!
we will be praying about the eating thing.

erin f. said...

I love the bug theme! Happy Birthday little Kanyon! Also, I love your hair cut...I have always wanted my hair cut like that but everytime I tell a hair stylist to do that it never looks that cute. Love you all!

karen said...

How talented are you?! The cake and cupcakes are so amasing! You had a poorly sick 1 year old on your hands and you amanged that - well done Jaymie!!!
I love love love the picture of the 3 of you after the party - such a good family shot. (And your hair looks fab!)

Lilypie
Lilypie First Birthday tickers