Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Are we there yet?

I'll do pictures first this time:
Mark and Jocelyn came by the other night...very fun. Mark, by the way, is a baby whisperer. Kanyon was instantly chilled and content in his lap. Jocelyn..he loved you too!







Tuesday was a HUGE day in the life of Kanyon Luke Phillips!! He finally got to see Reese Cope! Oh man, it was so great. Reese put on a brand new dress and Kanyon made sure he threw up BEFORE she got there so that he could wear a new onesie. Reese was so cute. We would say "Where's Kanyon?" and she would point to him (seen in this pic). She was born the same day Ava was (his girlfriend in the last post) 2 days after Kanyon.






I can't believe it took us this long to get this picture. It was so fun. I mean, I'm pretty sure they're soul mates.. He likes girls with spunk and Reese has LOTS!



















How could this get any better? A pretty girl in his bouncy seat. She knows the way to Kanyon's heart is through is bouncy seat!


















Kate and Jenna (and Jody and Reese) came all the way from Abilene to see us! It was so fun. Beth dropped by too. What a fun day! Thanks so much for making the trip girls!



















Contrary to the look on Kanyon's face, Kanyon was NOT bored...he had a great time.


We got word today that we are heading home early next week! At the last minute yesterday, we got an appointment with the GI Dr. for this morning at 9:00. He was very very nice and is very respected around here, so I was glad to visit with him. It was nothing major, just an initial visit, but it was good to be seen and heard. He feel a lot the same as the therapists here do. He says it is very highly unlikely that there is a problem (other than reflux). He changed the dosage one of the reflux meds, added another one, and kept the other one that he started for us when he started throwing up. He thinks this is just going to take time and that a big part of all of this is behavioral. The therapists say the same thing. Mainly because he freaks out and fights before the bottle goes in, but once its in, he is OK. They say if there was more going on he would fight it while he ate and he doesn't do that at all. He said he is not in any hurry to put in the G-Tube and thinks that the NG tube is the right thing to do right now. He says we are treating a lot of the possible problems with the medication. This is the most meds Kanyon has been on (3) which kinda stresses me out, but at the same time, I know he needs them. He went ahead and set up an upper endoscopy (don't hold me to the spelling) for 4 weeks from now just in case things aren't better. That would be where he puts a camera down his mouth and checks things out in there. He seems to think things will settle down and this will all help, but wanted to get us on the books so we didn't have to wait if things were still bad. He was very nice and I liked his attitude about everything. SOOO..since that is done, we are pretty much ready to go home. His speech therapist is encouraged with his progress and feels like in the next 4 weeks he should be really close (if not done) with the NG tube. So we'll stay in touch with them and maybe even do some outpatient therapy for a while once we leave just to stay in contact. We'll see. SOO that means I'm going to have to be trained with the NG tube. How do I feel about that?? well, I already "dropped it" as they say (put it in) today. He threw up and it came out (sorry that's gross) so there was my chance. The tape and stuff was still on so all I had to do was run it up his nose and in. It really was easy and very fast....there is nothing to it. I knew that, but I was just nervous I would mess up. It is hard to mess up, but I didn't want to be the one to mess up, ya know. Anyways, over the next couple of days, I'll do it a few more times to make sure I feel comfortable doing it before I leave. I really like the nurse that is here this week, so I"m glad she's the one teaching me. Kanyon tolerates it so much better than he did. At first we would stay upset for like 20 minutes, but now he's done crying as soon as whoever is holding his head lets go. Not that I'm looking forward to messing with this, but it will be OK. He is pretty consistent with all of his feeds except 1st thing in the morning, so I think we are going to start playing with numbers and add more to his other ones so that he doesn't have to take as much in the morning and maybe get closer to meeting his intake goal. We'll see about that too. I feel good about leaving. I think we are ready and just basically need time and I'd rather let time pass in my own house that here, so this is good. (Ricky maybe that will help settle your family down and help them decide how they feel) I'm not sure exactly what day, but I feel like at the latest it will be Wednesday. They'll have to get our equipment (pump, tubes, etc.) ready for us and all that stuff, so we'll see. In the mean time we are soaking up all of the intense therapy and looking forward to being home and seeing our Longview friends...not to mention KORY!! We are not fixed but we are better and that is what we came for! This was way too long.

17 comments:

Kate said...

I LOVED meeting Kanyon after reading about him and seeing him in pictures for so long. He is so sweet! And I'll say it again, you are super mom. Seriously, Jaymie, you are. I'm glad you'll be home and with Kory again soon. Love you.

jocelyn said...

It was great for me to get to meet Kanyon after all this time of reading about him and praying for you guys. I feel like I've been on the journey with you, so it was great to get to see you guys and hear more about what's going on. And, of course, to get to hold sweet Kanyon. He really is amazing! I'm so glad you got to see the GI and that you're going HOME! We are still definitely keeping you guys in our prayers. Love you.

Karl, Andrea, Kaden and Leland said...

We are glad that you are going home in a better state than what you arrived!

Got Faith? said...

I'm so glad you post so often! I like being able to check on little Kanyon every few days. So glad he's going home; will be praying for all of you!

Mindi said...

That's so great that Kate and Jenna came! Too bad I was working or else I would have driven and it could have been a party! We can't wait for you to get back to Longview! The spa is open and ready for Kanyon!

Jodi said...

Thanks for the update... you are so good about giving all the right info on what is going on and how you are feeling about it. Gives us exactly what to pray for! Give that little man a kiss from me... I am so thankful you are feeling good about things and looking forward to HOME. Yay!

Jenna said...

Reese is missing Kanyon soooo much! We loved getting to see you and that sweet boy. He is absolutely precious! And I agree with Kate...you are super mom! You're amazing, and we love you...

Julie said...

So glad to hear you can go home soon. What a relief. We are praying for your endurance and strength. Kanyon looks so good in those sweet pictures. Love, Julie & Aaron and kids.

daughteroftheking said...

Great news! So glad to hear you guys are going home soon. I know Kory is really missing haveing you both there!! I will continue to pray that all goes smoothly.
Love
Missy J

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

thank you for the update, Granny Bonner calls me everyday and asks, "Has Jaymie updated yet?" At this point, I pull up your blog and read to her. While I am reading she will talk like she is talking to you, she will ask a few questions that of course I have no idea the answer to and I will say "Granny, call Gay." It is really cute to hear how much she loves that little Kanyon and most definatley you. We know that the road has not been easy but we are very proud of the way that you, Kory and Kanyon are taking it one step at a time. God has been super faithful in all of this to provide you with every measure of strength and information that you need in the present moment. Hang in there and we will pray for Kanyon to eat, eat, eat. We love u!

Susan

Anonymous said...

I know that you will be glad to get home. Seem like things are going in the right direction. You have come so far...C.Grooms

The Timberframer's Wife said...

I bet you're so ready to be home! We'll sure be praying he continues to make progress. Kanyon is very blessed to have the parents he's got.

Spencer said...

I'm glad y'all are coming home soon! I will definitely be paying you some visits.

Spencer

annalee said...

i'm glad the trip was beneficial and so thankful you get to be with kory too. you have persevered for such good reasons!

Shiloh said...

You guys are all in our prayers. I'm so glad that you have sweet friends that can come visit. I bet you are so ready to be home.

The Speck family said...

I have been thinking about you guys tons and praying that his eating gets better and better- what a blessing that you guys get to go home soon! We have funny NG stories....my favorite include the times I would be shoving it up B's nose and down his throat and Travis would yell "STOP- it's coming out his mouth- abort mission!" Of course all while B was screaming like a banchy. You are amazing and Kanyon is just a beautiful, sweet and perfect little miracle boy. Please email me if you ever need to vent about feedings, NG tubes, etc. because I have been there and just last week I was crying over B's eating....there are definiely peaks and valleys, but it DOES get better. So sorry for the novel :)~ Kelly S. (speckhome@gmail.com)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jaymie,

i just wanted you to know how impressed i am with Kanyon's growth and development! He looks great! I hope to try and see you guys sometime this summer. Take care and I miss you.

-amanda walker

Lilypie
Lilypie First Birthday tickers