Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Word Up!

Pardon me while I brag on my own child. I'm not sure if that's OK or not, but I'm going to do it.

Back in July, Kanyon had his yearly check up with his neurosurgeon. (All was well by the way) In meeting with the Dr. he asked several questions about what Kanyon was doing and he asked me how many words I thought he knew. I said 10-15. That was my guess right there on the spot.


Fast forward to just the other night......

Kory and I were talking about how good he's been talking lately and how many words he can say. We decided to write them down. So we started rattling off the ones we knew. And the list kept growing and growing and growing. The grand total? 46!!! That makes my estimation of 10-15 waaaaaaaay off!! YEAH!!

I'm not saying all 46 of these words are clear to the untrained ear. His words may need some interpretation, but we counted them if he says them on his own and in the right context. There are several others that he can repeat if we say them, but we didn't count those. Wanna see the list? Ok. Here it is in no particular order:

light, Mama, Dad, Bubba, slide, sit, more, Ollie, ball, book, door,
poo poo, tee tee (he says those anytime he sees a toilet....maybe this will help when we are ready to potty train), drive, Paw Paw, Gay Gay, bath, move, please, outside, down, movie, T.V., basketball, Jeopardy, up, cracker, cookie, nose, eyes, no, yes, cheese (as in for the camera), spoon, night night, hi, bye bye, uh-oh, go, draw, sheeew (anytime you say a word like dirty, nasty, gross, or anytime he sees a diaper), bubbles, hide, keys, bird

Of course we are very proud of this. I'm sure he'll be adding more and more words to his vocabulary. The talking thing is/will be a big help in a lot of ways in our lives. Plus, its pretty cute because a lot of times, he just says a word and we didn't even know he knew it! I think his teachers at school will really notice. When school got out in May, he was pretty much only saying Mama, Dad, Bubba, light, and bye bye.

On a sort of related note, he knows some animal sounds. I took this video a while back and I had to take 2 because I forgot an animal each time I did it. So, here they are.....

Yes, Ollie and a dog have 2 different sounds. Ollie doesn't really bark.





That may not sound like any cat you've ever heard!!!

I left out COW on the first one.....then I left out lion on this one...so I'm showing you both to make sure you hear ALL the sounds! haha


9 comments:

Kyla said...

Haha! That was great! Kanyon is so smart!! I am so impressed with what all he is learning. And he knows so many words! My favorite word that he knows is jeopardy. Ha! That's hilarious. - Well, even though we don't get to see each other much I am so happy that we can look at each other's blogs and still feel connected. You are doing and have done SUCH a good job with Kanyon. I know you work so hard with him and it is for sure paying off. And Quinn is a doll! Wish we could get our kids together to play!

ali said...

yay kanyon!!! don't forget about MEOW!! :) nala sends kan a big meooooooow

erin f. said...

We just watched this together as a family and Ellie screamed happy screams the whole time and laughed. I think she likes him :)

That is a great list of words! I can't wait to hear more!

Meagan said...

So awesome! I love the cat, its my favorite. I also love that he can say Jeopardy :)

Sydni said...

Well, I can hardly believe how cute that is. He is such a smarty! How nice that Ollie doesn't bark.

Anonymous said...

Didn't I hear him say his own version of watermelon at my house???? I am pretty sure I did! That is an awesome list for Kan-man!

The McCarter Family said...

Emma, my youngest, is watching these with me and begging to see them over and over! She is a big Kanyon fan! The snake and giraffe are my favorite!

Meredith said...

Oh Kanyon is such a sweet boy!!! I could watch his animal sounds all day. Brag away girl! 46 words is awesome! My favorite is the giraffe. I especially liked the second time you videoed and he gave a cute smile before deciding to give you the giraffe face again. I love it!

Rachel said...

That's a ton! I had no idea he could say so many! I do love the jeopardy is thrown in there in the middle of all those like that's a normal word for kids to say. And I love the animal sounds - he is SO cute!

Lilypie
Lilypie First Birthday tickers