Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Bigger News Than The First Day of School

Remember this guy on the first day of school???
The bigger news is that he came home from a great first day of school and did this:

ATE AN ENTIRE PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY SANDWICH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kanyon is cheating on the Magic Bullet with a FORK!!!!
We've been letting him try foods and I've even showed a video of him using a fork. He thinks its cool to have his own fork or spoon. He's been trying lots of little bites of food, but still hesitant and not really eating MUCH of anything. After his first day of school, I made a PB & J and was going to give him a couple of little bites to see if he would eat them while I blended the rest of his meal. I looked up and the bites were gone, so I gave him a few more....and they were gone....a few more.....gone.....until the whole thing was gone!! So that night for supper, I gave him baked potato and poppyseed chicken and he ate the whole thing. He did that ALL WEEK!! He's eaten everything we've eaten and done great feeding himself! I still feed him breakfast and will probably have to blend most of his breakfast things until he gets a little more comfortable with it. He's never been a morning eater so I figure this will be the last thing for him to "get". But, hey, I can handle feeding him one meal a day! SHEESH! I also learned that if we go to Chick-Fil-A I need to order more chicken for HIM...there wasn't enough for me AND HIM!!!

Our war is not OVER completely, but we've won a MAJOR BATTLE!!!!! We are excited, relieved, and so proud of Kanyon! We're able to trust him a little more with when he's hungry and when he's not. His volume isn't as much as it was with the blended foods, but he's eating more often, so we're confident it will balance out. His weight is steady and our pediatrician is comfortable letting him go try this eating thing and not worry too much about his weight.

As I said, we haven't been able to totally abandon our "protocol" but we are glad we have that. There are a lot of good things about it that we will keep using. But it does feel good to be able to give him so much control and not have to fight him every meal. He seems to be enjoying it all so much more!!

Before you go feeling sorry for the Magic Bullet, know that its still getting used. I still make qsp's food with it and will still use it for klp's breakfast and any fruit that I add to things like yogurt or cottage cheese. Its just that I don't spend SO MUCH TIME standing over that thing mixing, blending, and scooping it out. UGGHH!!

I think us getting to this point is a combination of A LOT OF THINGS and A LOT OF TIME (remember he's 3 1/2)

The fork was a big one. He loves doing it himself so I think sometimes he likes to eat just because he likes to use his fork. He chases the food down on his plate and once he stabs it, he puts it down, claps for himself, and picks it back up to take the bite!

Same idea with the spoon. Big boy.
Tasting bits and pieces of other people's food has been going on for a long time and was an easy way to let him try if he wanted to, but not if he didn't. Here he is with our friend Jay. He ate his brownie. He'd never eaten something cakey like that before. He would usually just lick and it and then give it back. Luckily for Jay, klp decided to eat it instead of handing him back a wet, slobbery remnant of his brownie!
snack of fruit. He does pretty good with fruit. He won't buy into the banana thing. Never has really liked it. He'll eat peaches like there's no tomorrow! The bad thing is all of the stands are closing down and I didn't even get to freeze any! He also eats LOTS AND LOTS of apples.
Here is the triumphant warrior after his first MEAL!!! One of his favorite eating toys joined him for the occasion.
Like I said, we've got a ways to go still, but its nice to know that if we were stranded on an island, I wouldn't have to have a magic bullet to feed Kanyon!

15 comments:

Jaime B. said...

So happy to hear this great news!! Way to go, Kanyon!

lhall said...

Congratulations, Phillips!! That's very exciting news and I'm so happy for Mr. Kanyon and YOU! (yes, i still read, stay updated and think and pray for you guys!)...happy for you and this report! way to go, Kanyon!

sharon said...

amazing!! way to go, kanyon!!! love y'all!

Karl, Andrea, Kaden and Leland said...

WOOHOO! You go, Kanyon! I love it! Way to go mom and dad! Reading your blog makes me SMILE...thanks! Love y'all!

Jodi said...

OH MY GOODNESS GRACIOUS!!!!!!!!! KANYON!! You stud muffin!!! When I saw that tray and read that an ENTIRE pb&j sandwich USED to be on it and was now residing in your tummy.... I literally squealed!!! Slow and steady, kiddo. We are SO SO SO proud of you!!

And when you have a chance, swing on down to houston and show your friend Brooklyn how well you TALK too!! :)

Rachel said...

Holy cow! That's HUGE! I can't believe how good he is eating!! I know what a battle it has been for y'all and I'm so glad that it's getting so much easier now. You have the patience of a saint.

Love y'all!
Rachel

Anonymous said...

High five for Kanyon!

Sydni said...

This. is. AWESOME!

erin f. said...

Jaymie, that is just amazing. I can't believe after all you've gone through he just started eating like that! It's just amazing! I'm so happy for you!

And that picture of Jay holding him...makes me want to move there so we can all be friends. I am jealous of you for getting to be with them and them for getting to be with you!

The Speck family said...

PRAISING THE LORD with you~ Kanyon, once again, YOU TOTALLY ROCK. I could NOT be any happier for you ALL :).

The Nortons said...

I don't think I have ever been so excited reading a blog! I am soooo very proud of Kanyon...this is just AWESOME! YAY! Jaymie I am also sooo very proud of you...what an awesome example of perservance! Thanks for being such a great mom!
Christy

annalee said...

tears of JOY for y'all!!!

The McCarter Family said...

I just read your latest 2 posts and did nothing but smile the whole time! What an amazing little guy! I know you are so proud of his progress!

Marianne said...

I love this story!!! I think your statement about how har it was to see him have to use so much of his courage battling his food gave so many of his fans something to really pray about. I know my heart just ached for him. This is just SO exciting!!!! Way to go klp!! Way to go mom. You are the absolute best.

Love you!

Anonymous said...

That is so great Jaymie - way to go!!! What exciting news! I check every couple of days for updates on the boys - I love it!

Love, Nina

Lilypie
Lilypie First Birthday tickers