Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Kanyon Goes to Albuquerque

This story began over a year ago, but it would take forever to explain it all.  The bottom line is that over a year ago I began to realize that Kanyon had some sensory integration issues going on. This hadn't been a major part of his therapy so far in his life, but I could tell this was something that needed some attention. And it would hopefully give us some answers/solutions to some of his emotional/behavioral struggles.  In the process of moving and trying to find our way around here as well as figure out what exactly he needed from a therapist, we connected with a friend of a friend of a friend.  Starting with our wonderful PT, Celia, from Longview ending at a therapy center in Albuquerque, NM.  

Less than a week after Mom and Dad left here, Kanyon and I packed up and headed to Billings to fly to ABQ.  My parents decided to meet us there so after they drove all the way back home, dad worked 3 days, and they loaded back up in their car and drove their 10 hours to ABQ.  I mentioned it to them to come just thinking it would make it more fun, but as it turned out I was SOOO glad they were there to help me with all of it. Dad was our #1 chauffeur and mom did her magic as usual being Kanyon's play slave, my right (and left) hand, all while having a blast being together.  

Here's my travel buddy all ready for our first flight.  He was so excited. He kept saying, "Are we on the ground or in the air?" Ha. He was an absolute treat to have all to myself for the week.  

I bought a couple of episodes of Paw Patrol for the ipad, so on our second flight he watched a little bit of it. Other than having a seizure mid flight, the trip was flawless.  

Mom and Dad were at the airport to pick us up and after a yummy meal we headed to the hotel which was obviously the part Kanyon was looking forward to the most.  Mom found a great hotel that was a suite so we could all stay together. It was great! 

Friday morning was our first session at Kid Power with Carla.  The place was a WONDERLAND of swings, bouncy things, toys, pillows, trampolines, and anything else you can ever imagine. It was awesome.  Each day we did 2 21/2 hour sessions of therapy so she could get lots of intensive time in with klp.  It was all fascinating and very helpful to us. I should've just put a video camera out the first day so I could remember everything she said and did.  I took a few pictures but was mostly busy with the activities so I don't have many. 

Loving the barrel swing.  Of course. 

And another bouncy swing. 

klp was inside this giant bag full of balls bouncing on the trampoline! He loved it! 

Back on the trampoline with some crash pillows.  This was his sweet spot.  

One night my Aunt Gwen Ann and Uncle Brad were driving through ABQ on their way home from Arizona.  We met them for dinner so that was an extra special treat! 

Another day, another swing! (and whistle, and music, and ball). 

We sent Quinn this picture where we were shopping/eating after therapy one night. 

An indoor pool was a must when we were looking for hotels.  Paw Paw was his swimming buddy and they had a great time. He's still telling people about the pool at Paw Paw and Gay Gay's hotel. Probably everyone now thinks my parents own hotels.  Haha.  

It was a whirlwind for 4 days. A friend from church growing up lives in ABQ now with her fam so we got to go eat dinner at their house, visit with them, and go to church with them the next day. A great bonus visit!  I was mentally exhausted on this trip, but it was a really good thing. As always, it was fun to be with my parents, and as always, they lightened the load for me in a major way.  I did bad taking pictures (especially because i got NONE with my mom in them! UGH! ) But we are thankful for the time there and thankful for what we learned.  We are still trying to figure out how to incorporate all of that into our daily life, but we're getting through it. 

Here we are on our first flight headed back home. 

Mom bought him a white board while we were there and it made me wonder how I've lived this long without one. He loves that thing. He was drawing and erasing non-stop on the flights. 

Montana gave us a warm welcome home.  And by warm welcome I mean temps around -20.  We got in after dark on Tuesday night. I decided against driving back on nasty roads in the dark, so klp was pumped to have another night in a hotel! We ate a yummy dinner at Texas Roadhouse. 

 We had a short night in another hotel, klp squeeled and bounced on the bed with pure delight until I finally convinced him to lay down and go to sleep.  ha! We hit the road the next day with a pretty sunshiny day. It was crazy cold temps, but a pretty drive home none the less.  Glad to be home and thankful and humbled again to be encouraged and helped by such talented people.  

1 comment:

The Speck family said...

Well of course I just sit here crying look at K's sweet face- he melts me!!! Would love to hear more about your experience in looks like an amazing place! And the halloween post- good gracious. The adorableness of those three kids, especially the little kitty in her glasses and John walking with his umbrella is ALMOST TOO SWEET FOR WORDS!!!